Shopping for First Above-Ground Pool

Jun 10, 2012
Chicago | SW side
Hi everyone! I joined this site last year when I got a little Intex pool for my backyard. Well, we loved that little pool so much that we have decided to get a more permanent above ground pool this year.

My husband went looking and is sort of sold on a pool with a solid resin rails on top, walls are stainless covered in resin with a resin track. Sound good or no?
Also, he mentioned something a Hayward filter that has chemical system that has silver and copper in the system. I am going to go and talk to the guy also, so this is all the info that I have. Does it sound like we are on the right track? It's a lot of money so I don't want to get it wrong. The filter ... he said something about a "lazy man package" ... I don't know what that means.

So, basically, I'm going to go surf the boards in here but in the meantime, if anyone has any input/opinion on what I've shared so far, that would be great.

Also, any opinions on whether or not to spend the extra money to have part of the pool sunk into the ground? Just curious ...

Thanks!

Michele C.

The resin part sounds good. I doubt that the walls are stainless, it's probably just the panel where the skimmer and return are, but definitely find out. You don't want the "silver and copper system" whatever that is. Go for a chlorine injection pump or a swg if you want automated chlorine dosing. Never heard of a "lazy man package" find out exactly what that consists of.

The more info you can get about the individual pieces of equipment the better we'll be able to help you. A size and model of the pool will help too.

congrats on the new pool.

Bama beat me to the punch...here is my take...

MClaeson said:
Also, he mentioned something a Hayward filter that has chemical system that has silver and copper in the system.
Avoid this like the plague!

MClaeson said:
The filter ... he said something about a "lazy man package" ... I don't know what that means.
Post the size of you pool and we will recommend a minimum filter size. Typically the "packages" have pumps too big and filter too small.

MClaeson said:
Also, any opinions on whether or not to spend the extra money to have part of the pool sunk into the ground?
If you mean a deep swimming end, then by all means I say yes! If you mean burying the walls, I am not a fan of it, but some on here have done it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.