Cover ripped, water is green - options?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
Hi all,

Here in NH, we typically open around Memorial Day. But a week or so ago, as the ice on my pool cover finally started to thaw, my cover ripped. Doesn't appear to be a leak, as the water level is right where I left it, but I did have a lot of water/ice on it for a long time.

Anyways, I pulled the cover off and the water is now green and full of leaves. I was really hoping to NOT have to run my filter a month early, but do I have any other options? Each of the last two years I've had to battle back from a swamp for weeks before we could swim, so I'm inclined to hook up the filter and fill 'er up now to get a head start on shocking. Is that my only option?

With vinyl liners, it is not usually a good idea to drain them completely, so looks like the shock process is in your future:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

You want to get all the leaves and gunk out before you really start the process. If you have the ability to vacuum to waste, that could help.

What is your water temp? It is usually a good idea to open before the water gets over 60 degrees I think to reduce the amount of algae encountered.

jblizzle said:
With vinyl liners, it is not usually a good idea to drain them completely, so looks like the shock process is in your future:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

You want to get all the leaves and gunk out before you really start the process. If you have the ability to vacuum to waste, that could help.

What is your water temp? It is usually a good idea to open before the water gets over 60 degrees I think to reduce the amount of algae encountered.

I'm quite familiar with the shocking process, unfortunately, having recovered from a broken filter (and subsequent frog swamp) in June last year. Water temp is still quite low as it's been in the 30's at night. Maybe someday I can actually open my pool on Memorial Day without having to work on it for two weeks! Ahh! :)

I too am wondering about the water temp?

Yours may be a case of having the temp tell you when to open, not a date on the calender. Although I agree with jbliz that 60F works for most, you may want to open at 50-55F in the future to nip it in the bud.

Maybe oversize the cover this time a couple more feet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.