Ch-Ch-Changes.....

Mar 19, 2012
Nevada City, CA
We moved in a year ago(give or take 2 weeks) to a green pool....and a yard full of landscape bark and little rocks!! Since then we have kept the pool beautifully blue, cleaned up the overgrown plant life that was attempting to take over the pool, planted grass,etc., patched, painted(you know the drill)and most recently acquired a gently used vintage CalSpa with an attached gazebo to add to the mix. We are a long way from completion, but a lot further away from were we started! We still have plumbing issues with the pool, but are trying to tackle them one at a time. We plan on fixing the small cracks in the rock work and painting the pool dark blue at the end of the Summer, along with repairing the roof on the spa gazebo....by next Summer we should be where we want with it(WE HOPE)........

Attachments

• greenpool.jpg
    greenpool.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 586
  • home15.jpg
    home15.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 011 (640x480).jpg
    011 (640x480).jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 587
I did take that into consideration originally when we were looking at our options regarding the floor, budget wise we cannot afford to replaster it and living in the forest has left its mark on it, since the surface will only tolerate so many acid washings before your'e in trouble. After doing quite a bit of research and talking to anyone willing to listen and talk to me, based on the pool itself, the water's chemical balance, the solar heating system( defunct now, but not for long)our weather and the amount of time the pool has direct sunlight on it we decided to paint it. If the pool is prepared correctly before application, the paint is applied correctly, with an additional coat applied to the seam at the tile and around the ports and the steps, the product is guaranteed for 8 years against chipping specifically. The amount of paint needed for the recommended application is included in the price for the system, and based on people I have both spoken with and read about,etc. it isn't a stretch to get 10-12 years with this product or one similar. Largely due to the amount of chemicals(or lack of) and the temp we keep the water at as well,we ended up buying a product that has a great reputation & warranty

I personally believe that paint is a viable option for some pool owners. If you do not get a lot of UV and keep your water balanced, I think paint can work for you. You will hear a lot of feedback of the pitfalls of painting but take it in stride. Everyone on this forum will help you along the way. And please take my advice lightly as I am new here also but I have learned a lot in 6 months.

against chipping specifically
Chipping seems like mechanical damage to me.....what about peeling and delamination, which seems to be the most common issue we see here on the forum.

My nephew has to repaint his pool about every 2-3 years and is resigned to it. That seems to be the most common time frame we hear about. 8-10 years seems like an extraordinary stretch even with the very best preparation you can do.

Don't mean to be a naysayer, but the many years of pool paint reports we read I don't think have ever included a paint job lasting 8-10 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.