Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ch-Ch-Changes.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Ch-Ch-Changes.....

We moved in a year ago(give or take 2 weeks) to a green pool....and a yard full of landscape bark and little rocks!! Since then we have kept the pool beautifully blue, cleaned up the overgrown plant life that was attempting to take over the pool, planted grass,etc., patched, painted(you know the drill)and most recently acquired a gently used vintage CalSpa with an attached gazebo to add to the mix. We are a long way from completion, but a lot further away from were we started! We still have plumbing issues with the pool, but are trying to tackle them one at a time. We plan on fixing the small cracks in the rock work and painting the pool dark blue at the end of the Summer, along with repairing the roof on the spa gazebo....by next Summer we should be where we want with it(WE HOPE)........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [color=#000080]20k kidney shaped inground gunite pool,(equipment subject to change) Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Pentair WhisperFlo 1 1/2hp pump. Everything else is disconnected/disabled and currently a work in progress... newly added Vintage CalSpa is also a work in progress..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ch-Ch-Changes.....

the yard and Spa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [color=#000080]20k kidney shaped inground gunite pool,(equipment subject to change) Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Pentair WhisperFlo 1 1/2hp pump. Everything else is disconnected/disabled and currently a work in progress... newly added Vintage CalSpa is also a work in progress..

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking good.

Please be aware that painting a pool generally only last a couple years before it may start to peal and look worse than what you stated with
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did take that into consideration originally when we were looking at our options regarding the floor, budget wise we cannot afford to replaster it and living in the forest has left its mark on it, since the surface will only tolerate so many acid washings before your'e in trouble. After doing quite a bit of research and talking to anyone willing to listen and talk to me, based on the pool itself, the water's chemical balance, the solar heating system( defunct now, but not for long)our weather and the amount of time the pool has direct sunlight on it we decided to paint it. If the pool is prepared correctly before application, the paint is applied correctly, with an additional coat applied to the seam at the tile and around the ports and the steps, the product is guaranteed for 8 years against chipping specifically. The amount of paint needed for the recommended application is included in the price for the system, and based on people I have both spoken with and read about,etc. it isn't a stretch to get 10-12 years with this product or one similar. Largely due to the amount of chemicals(or lack of) and the temp we keep the water at as well,we ended up buying a product that has a great reputation & warranty

5. Back To Top    #5

I personally believe that paint is a viable option for some pool owners. If you do not get a lot of UV and keep your water balanced, I think paint can work for you. You will hear a lot of feedback of the pitfalls of painting but take it in stride. Everyone on this forum will help you along the way. And please take my advice lightly as I am new here also but I have learned a lot in 6 months.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

against chipping specifically
    Chipping seems like mechanical damage to me.....what about peeling and delamination, which seems to be the most common issue we see here on the forum.

My nephew has to repaint his pool about every 2-3 years and is resigned to it. That seems to be the most common time frame we hear about. 8-10 years seems like an extraordinary stretch even with the very best preparation you can do.

Don't mean to be a naysayer, but the many years of pool paint reports we read I don't think have ever included a paint job lasting 8-10 years.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School