Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Virmiculite Sourcing

1. Back To Top    #1

Virmiculite Sourcing

Hello,

I am gathering all my materials for the install of my 20x40 vinyl liner inground pool.

I plan to use a vermiculite/cement for the pool base. My local home improvement store has the cement and they also have 3 cf bags of vermiculite at a much cheaper price than pool supply companies selling them online. Is the vermiculite that is sold as pool base essentially just plain old vermiculite that is also sold as insulation?

Here is what i planned on using:

http://www.menards.com/main/building-ma ... c-5777.htm

Thanks

Jeremy
    18x36 Steel Wall Vinyl Liner Pool
    Sta Rite Cartridge Filter
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Virmiculite Sourcing

Welcome to TFP!

PoolCrete, and similar products, is a mixture of perlite and cement ready for mixing with water and being applied. You can mix the ingredients yourself but you need to be careful to not over mix.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a FYI - I just ordered 5 bags as I felt I would run a little short. I contacted Palmetto Vermiculite Company and they shipped it to me, they are the manufacturer. It was remarkably cost effective.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

I was able to find Perlite from a company in the area that manufactures it. It appeared reasonably priced at $7 per 4cf bag.

Does anyone have any mix proportions they have use din the past? looks like a 1:6 ratio is what perlite.org is recommending.
    18x36 Steel Wall Vinyl Liner Pool
    Sta Rite Cartridge Filter
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater