Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for my first backwash!

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for my first backwash!

Hi Everyone!

I am getting ready to do the first backwash of my filter since firing the pool guy and I just want to make sure I am ready to go. I have a DE filter (Jandy DEV 60) that requires 6 lbs of DE. When I do a backwash, how much DE do I put back into the skimmer? The full 6lbs or only a percentage of that? Also, how do I add it- do I mix it with water first before pouring into the skimmer? Is there a "good" type of DE to buy or will any pool-DE do? Any information/recommendations you have would be great! Thank you!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for my first backwash!

Backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

I usually put the DE in a bucket and mix with water and pour into the skimmer.

If only backwashing, I would add about 80% of the full amount of DE since backwashing will not get t all.

Check out the "use and care DE filters" article in the further reading section of Pool School.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You do have a backwash hose, correct? Or a pipe connected to the waste port? Because you might be alarmed at the black stuff that comes rushing out, and amazed at just how much water your pump can move in a hurry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both! Yes, I did purchase a hose and I have been reading the manual for my filter- says to shut the pump off, switch handle to BACKWASH, open air release valve, then switch the pump back on until the water runs clear (let me know if that is not correct!). I am still trying to figure out a good place to backwash it-- trying to avoid the garden... Where do you guys put the backwashes water? I am preparing myself for some dirty water, as I am already at the 30% increase mark and probably needed to do this last week!

Thank you very much for your help!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! Reading now!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by nicpppardo
    Thank you both! Yes, I did purchase a hose and I have been reading the manual for my filter- says to shut the pump off, switch handle to BACKWASH, open air release valve, then switch the pump back on until the water runs clear (let me know if that is not correct!). I am still trying to figure out a good place to backwash it-- trying to avoid the garden... Where do you guys put the backwashes water? I am preparing myself for some dirty water, as I am already at the 30% increase mark and probably needed to do this last week!

Thank you very much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Perhaps open the air bleed when you first open the backwash valve, but close it again before you start the pump or you'll have water spraying out everywhere!

When I had DE in mine, I waited for a rainy day and backwashed out into the gutter where it would get diluted with rainwater and flow into the storm drain, eliminating the telltale white crust on the street. Since I switched to fiber clear cellulose, I just wash it out onto the front lawn. The lawn seems to thrive on it. It helps to have two people, in contact via cell phone, when you do it. One stands by the pump switch, the other plays fireman and makes sure the lawn gets evenly watered.

Here it is emptying into the street

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!