Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA

Ok I need some advice. Good news first. Pulled my cover off this weekend and water was crystal clear and still had FC of 6! I was pumped. Now to more disturbing news. Last year I got pool stored and ended up with my CYA off the charts. So long story short got my CYA down to 70-80 last year before I closed. I figured with the draining I did for the winter I would be fine when I refilled this spring. Man I was wrong. My CYA is still 70-80. after filling back up yesterday. The pool looks good and we are under water restrictions right now. Should I drain and refill now or just work with it at the current levels. I really thought that it would be back down to around 50. How long will it take me to get it down?
    30ft x 54in AGP 24,900 gallons
    400 lbs High Rate Sand filter
    2HP, 2 speed pump
    Pool Install April 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA

If it was me I would leave it and work with it. You have a sand filter so you will be backwashing and refilling from time to time. So you will dilute down as long as you aren't using tabs.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

If the water is clear and you still show FC, there's probably no reason to shock. Minimum FC for your pool, according to Pool Calculator, is 5-10, which means you'll be testing it using the FAS-DPD tester instead of the simpler color block, but it's do-able.

Backwashing will lower CYA. You can also use the pool water to water the lawn and then refill with tap water to make it up, which will lower it ever so slowly.

PS: assume the water is 50 inches deep. Every inch you drain and refill will drop it about 2%.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Any chance you water is really cold? Make sure when you do the cya test that the pool water temperature is at least near room temperature.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes the water was 57% when I tested. I still have trouble doing the cya test for some reason. I have taken probably 30 of them and watched the videos and I always have trouble deciding when I can see a the black dot ever so faintly. lol. How much difference does temp make? And no I haven't used pucks since last year when I figured out my CYA was of the charts. Bleach only from now on!
    30ft x 54in AGP 24,900 gallons
    400 lbs High Rate Sand filter
    2HP, 2 speed pump
    Pool Install April 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

The rest of this thread is kind of all over the place, but this post is a good summary:
    at-what-water-temp-is-cya-test-reliable-t57403.html#p471372

Basically you either need to allow the CYA reaction continue for a few minutes (not just 30 seconds) when the water is cold, or let the water warm up first.

And really lighting may play a bigger role in the reading anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!