Did I miss a plug?

Apr 22, 2013
Bought a house with 40' x 15' x 7' (average depth) inground pool on Thanksgiving. Shed keeps all pump equipment indoors. Have FNS Plus DE filter system, propane based heater (size of a washing machine), a Nature2 G series sanitizer, 2 Aqua DOC magnetic "things" bolted around PVC just prior to return to pool. Seems like good setup. One thing I don't see is the rotating handle to change from filter to backwash, etc. There's just a very simple black handle that goes from open to locked by twisting, in front of the DE filter.

1. Used bar to pop springs off posts. Screwed posts down. pulled and folded cover fine and bagged. Good so far.
2. Located 3 plugs in side returns and removed. Noticed air bubbles released.
3. Located 2 more plugs in side skimmers and removed. Noticed a 2nd covered hole in each, not with plugs, but more like PVC plug. Not sure if those need to be removed.
4. Located 1 more plug in pump just before basket and removed. Heard water movement.
5. All other plugs typically removed for outdoor winterization were in place (under pump and under DE filter, etc.)
6. Pressure valve was on top of filter.

Here's the problem. With seemingly all plugs removed, primed pump basket (didn't open air relief at top of filter...oops) and started up. After 30-45 seconds it primed without any problem, however, I noticed no suction at skimmers, so perhaps only main drain open, then pressure shot up to 30 and I shut off.

Then I got quite a scare when the twisting cover for the pump basket wouldn't turn and i had to use a rubber hammer to open it, and POW, it flew up in the air and water shot out like a fountain!

So it seems like water is flowing in at least from the main drain, anyway, but isn't returning to the pool and the pressure just built up and up and up....

pump to filter, filter to heater, passing 2 magnetic things, heater to Nature2 canister, Nature2 cannister back to pool.

what did I miss?

that's what is troubling me. the multiport valves I am accustomed with are like a clock with a handle you depress and there are choices all the way around. I don't have one of those! I'm uploading pics in a minute.

ok, there was water in the nature2 canister. so water is flowing that far, so if its that far, can there be something blocking the tubes in the pool? there were 3 on the sides and i pulled plugs from each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there a spaceship looking thing around the pool somewhere? If so, check it out to make sure something isn't valved off somewhere. It's common for popup systems to run high (30 psi or so) pressures when operating, so the pressure you saw may be normal.

That's the popup cleaner control. It selects the different zones as the cleaner is running. I doubt that it has any plugs in it. I'd turn the pump back on and see if the popups start working. Is there a gauge on the dome?

ok, inside the "space ship" there's 7 chambers, each looks like it has a plug. found a matching piece in the shed that appears to go on top of them and has a series of gears at the top. the cover has a little handle that can point to run or stop. guess i have to pull all those plugs, too, but what is this thing?

Since they did plug it, just remove them and set the gear set in place and put the top back on. It's a selector for the popup system. As the water runs through the system the gears rotate and that opens the holes to the popup zones one at a time. As it rotates you'll see the heads in the different zones popup and water will be spraying from them.

Bama Rambler, you nailed it! After each plug came out, a puff of built up pressure was relieved. I guess I'm lucky I didn't blow anything. put the gear in place and set to run, then closed up tight. Turned on the pump and water flowing everywhere. Skimmers working fine and I can see the pop ups at the bottom of the pool coming up in pairs, blowing winter debris around.

It would appear that in addition to the 3 side returns, the purpose of this thing is to rotate sanitized water returning to the pool around the bottom in a rotating pattern to mix the water more evenly.

Next up, out of 2 underwater lights, one is out! haven't removed it, but looks like its about the size of a BR40 recessed light and it has horizontal grooves on the glass cover. Would love to change to LED if that doesn't involve pulling a new wire all the way back. Seems to be 2 solutions, an LED bulb only, or an LED module that changes colors, etc., which comes attached to a wire.

Owe you a martini....thanks so much!

While I have everyone's attention, how is my setup? I just bought this house and the pool went in around 2007. I'm particularly interested in the effectiveness of the Natural2 "sanitizer" that claims to greatly reduce reliance on chlorine and the 2 Aqua Doc magnetic things that I think are essentially water softeners, if they do what they say they do, which is to gather microscopic particles together until they are a bigger clump which can get trapped in the filter and removed. Are these things still current technology for 35-40k gallons? Anything from my pictures that is out of date or equipment that is well known to have issues?

About the Nature², I highly suggest your read the article on alternate sanitizers, you'll find out that they're not highly thought of around here and why. There's nothing better than good ole Chlorine and it's cheaper too.

As for the magnets, they're just snake oil and always have been. Since they're there, just leave them as a conversation piece. :) Impress your neighbors with them doing something like aligning the water molecules and making it sooo much better! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.