Bought a house with 40' x 15' x 7' (average depth) inground pool on Thanksgiving. Shed keeps all pump equipment indoors. Have FNS Plus DE filter system, propane based heater (size of a washing machine), a Nature2 G series sanitizer, 2 Aqua DOC magnetic "things" bolted around PVC just prior to return to pool. Seems like good setup. One thing I don't see is the rotating handle to change from filter to backwash, etc. There's just a very simple black handle that goes from open to locked by twisting, in front of the DE filter.
1. Used bar to pop springs off posts. Screwed posts down. pulled and folded cover fine and bagged. Good so far.
2. Located 3 plugs in side returns and removed. Noticed air bubbles released.
3. Located 2 more plugs in side skimmers and removed. Noticed a 2nd covered hole in each, not with plugs, but more like PVC plug. Not sure if those need to be removed.
4. Located 1 more plug in pump just before basket and removed. Heard water movement.
5. All other plugs typically removed for outdoor winterization were in place (under pump and under DE filter, etc.)
6. Pressure valve was on top of filter.
Here's the problem. With seemingly all plugs removed, primed pump basket (didn't open air relief at top of filter...oops) and started up. After 30-45 seconds it primed without any problem, however, I noticed no suction at skimmers, so perhaps only main drain open, then pressure shot up to 30 and I shut off.
Then I got quite a scare when the twisting cover for the pump basket wouldn't turn and i had to use a rubber hammer to open it, and POW, it flew up in the air and water shot out like a fountain!
So it seems like water is flowing in at least from the main drain, anyway, but isn't returning to the pool and the pressure just built up and up and up....
pump to filter, filter to heater, passing 2 magnetic things, heater to Nature2 canister, Nature2 cannister back to pool.
what did I miss?