Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High PSI on my DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

High PSI on my DE Filter

Hi all,

I have an in ground 22,000 gallon salt water pool. Took my water sample to local pool store and started to balance everything. I have added shock, DE, and salt so far. After DE was added pool filter was running fine (even with Polaris running). PSI started around 15. After about 4-6 hrs of running my PSI jumped to 20 then 23 and I shut the filter off, back washed and re applied DE. Turn the filter back on and the PSI goes directly to 20. Is this safe? The PSI jumps so fast it sounds like the filter is actually makes a "cracking" type noise momentarily. Any ideas what the problem could be or suggestions?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl
    Hayward DE Filter Model 6020

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PSI on my DE Filter

Welcome to TFP!

How does your water look? DE filters can need frequent backwashing and cleaning if the water is even a little bit dirty.

Have you disassembled the filter for a thorough cleaning? DE or other debris can get caked inside the filter and may not always clean out during a backwash.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

the water is still kind of green. Lots of pollen over the weekend because of the rain. I cleaned the grid out at seasons end last year. I have back washed several times. When I do it brings down the PSI for about an hr
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Also when I back wash I can see the water is not 100% clear going out,there are still signs of small debris (leaves mostly deteriorated)
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like the filter is working overtime to clean out the crud and loading up. I'd at least pull the top of the tank and see how full the grids are. This picture is what mine looked like after the prescribed two minute backwash. the water was coming out clear:

This is from a year or so later, after using fiberclear instead of DE

There was a lot stuck between the grids as well

I just pop the top and get in there with a spray nozzle while the backwash valve (it's underneath) is open and knock it all off.

A tip I got here: Backwash, open air bleed, let it drain. Close backwash valve and air bleed. Remove clamp. Turn the pump on for just a second. Air pressure will pop the top off. No prying or wrestling required. Open backwash valve and start hosing. Be sure a) the tank is empty before you try blowing the lid, b) you kill the pump as soon as it lifts loose, c) you stand back. It's amazing how fast the pump can fill things without any resistance!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

ill give it a shot when I get home in about 6 hrs. I was thinking the same thing. After I clear the filter/grid how much DE so I re apply? same amount as starting from scratch again?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jrocksinc
    ill give it a shot when I get home in about 6 hrs. I was thinking the same thing. After I clear the filter/grid how much DE so I re apply? same amount as starting from scratch again?
    Yes, when the grids are totally clear, it's the same as a fresh fill. If it's just a backwash, no disassembly, reload it with 80%

use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

should i back wash you think or clean out the filter completely and start over?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

If you pull the grid and rinse/wash it and then reassemble you should add via the skimmer the full amount of DE that your filter requires. And then after each subsequent backwash it is recommended to add 80% of the full amount required by your filter. The logic being 20% stays in it after backwashing.

I cleaned mine earlier this last month and it was NASTY. When you cleaned your last year did you do the dishwasher soap soak and subsequent Acid bath? I was amazed at the difference after i got it clean meaning just appearance of the filter.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

should i back wash you think or clean out the filter completely and start over?

Did you find it to be a chore last time, or no big deal? I think after doing it once that my opinion is it is not as big of deal as i thought it was going to be. I don't like the not knowing if 20% remained, or 10% remained, or 50% remained after backwashing. I would probably open it up and look after backwashing so i could see how mush was left....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11

id rather do it right, ill clean it out pretty well when I get home and post what happened tomorrow, thanks for the help
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

12. Back To Top    #12

id rather do it right, ill clean it out pretty well when I get home and post what happened tomorrow, thanks for the help
    Remember, we love pictures.

13. Back To Top    #13

While dealing with algae, a good strategy for a DE filter is to run it on filter while you are home and can clean it regularly, then switch to recirculate while you are away so it keeps moving water. Also be sure to maintain chlorine levels or the filter will never catch up with the algae.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

14. Back To Top    #14

what is the best way to maintain chlorine lvls? just leave the chlorine generator on? sorry im a new pool home owner.. first time opening
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

15. Back To Top    #15

what is the best way to maintain chlorine lvls? just leave the chlorine generator on? sorry im a new pool home owner.. first time opening
    Generally a SWCG will struggle to maintain sufficient chlorine to keep up with algae. Algae can consume 10 or 15ppm of chlorine in a few hours.

Here are some articles from Pool School that will point you in the right direction:

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

backwashed again then rinsed, turned applied DE, turned on filter and PSI is back to 13-15PSI... looks like alls it needed was a good rinse
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

17. Back To Top    #17

I highly recommend you read the links that John posted ... and all of Pool School (button at the upper right of page) If you do not kill the algae completely, you will never get the pool clear.

To do this properly, you need one of the recommended test kits and take control of the pool yourself and not rely on "free testing" that often ends up costing $100s for things you do not actually need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

I did read them and had done most of the steps upon opening. This could be a beginner question.. But how can I tell if there is algae in the pool?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

19. Back To Top    #19

Other than being able to see it, the OCLT is the best way. Raise you pool up to the corresponding shock level for you current cya level (see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool), then make sure you have your swg off overnight during the test. If you loose less than 1 ppm FC overnight (and your water is crystal clear and you don't have CC >0.5 ppm), you can be fairly certain there is nothing growing in the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

20. Back To Top    #20

I did read them and had done most of the steps upon opening. This could be a beginner question.. But how can I tell if there is algae in the pool?
    It's green (or brown, or black) and/or

There's green stuff on the walls and/or

The water is murky and/or

There's piles of fluffy stuff sort of like dust bunnies in drifts on the bottom of the pool and they disintegrate into nothingness when you try to brush or vacuum them.

The surefire test is the overnight chlorine loss test. Chlorine is depleted by two things: sunlight and organic matter (algae). So you test the FC after the sun stops beating on the pool and recheck it again before the sun starts beating on it again and you've ruled out any losses due to sunlight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast