Pool cover wisdom

Mar 25, 2013
South Africa
Winter is upon us here in South Africa and that means wind and leaves! I also have a mini-me arriving in August so I want to install a pool cover for more than one reason.

My objectives are:

Keep all leaves out of the pool
Prevent evaporation
Allow rain water to filter through the cover so I don't have to pump water off the top
Solar heating cover to be considered
Child friendly and 100% safe
Roll up station, probably manual

What say you all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those specific requirements I recommend a solid safety cover with a mesh panel that allows water to drain into the pool. An all mesh safety cover would be a second choice, but it will allow a little more evaporation. Putting it on and taking it off will be a bit more work than a "roll up station". Unfortunately the covers that roll up don't normally allow water to get into the pool when close, nor are they safety rated, ie children crawling on the cover could be a problem with a roll up cover.

Cyclonic said:
Winter is upon us here in South Africa and that means wind and leaves! I also have a mini-me arriving in August so I want to install a pool cover for more than one reason.

My objectives are:

Keep all leaves out of the pool
Prevent evaporation
Allow rain water to filter through the cover so I don't have to pump water off the top
Solar heating cover to be considered
Child friendly and 100% safe
Roll up station, probably manual

What say you all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No such animal other than an automatic cover.

A winter safety cover will meet all the criteria but the roll up. Any other kind of cover besides a safety cover or auto cover actually makes the pool more dangerous.

I do a safety cover during the winter and a solar cover during the pool season, all protected by a pool-certified fence with self closing gates that have child-proof latches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.