Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cover wisdom

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cover wisdom

Winter is upon us here in South Africa and that means wind and leaves! I also have a mini-me arriving in August so I want to install a pool cover for more than one reason.

My objectives are:

Keep all leaves out of the pool
    Prevent evaporation
    Allow rain water to filter through the cover so I don't have to pump water off the top
    Solar heating cover to be considered
    Child friendly and 100% safe
    Roll up station, probably manual

What say you all?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cover wisdom

For those specific requirements I recommend a solid safety cover with a mesh panel that allows water to drain into the pool. An all mesh safety cover would be a second choice, but it will allow a little more evaporation. Putting it on and taking it off will be a bit more work than a "roll up station". Unfortunately the covers that roll up don't normally allow water to get into the pool when close, nor are they safety rated, ie children crawling on the cover could be a problem with a roll up cover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

With my pool sorted again, I need to get a pool cover pronto. I'll post up the available options if anyone is keen to comment.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic
    Winter is upon us here in South Africa and that means wind and leaves! I also have a mini-me arriving in August so I want to install a pool cover for more than one reason.

My objectives are:

Keep all leaves out of the pool
    Prevent evaporation
    Allow rain water to filter through the cover so I don't have to pump water off the top
    Solar heating cover to be considered
    Child friendly and 100% safe
    Roll up station, probably manual

What say you all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No such animal other than an automatic cover.

A winter safety cover will meet all the criteria but the roll up. Any other kind of cover besides a safety cover or auto cover actually makes the pool more dangerous.

I do a safety cover during the winter and a solar cover during the pool season, all protected by a pool-certified fence with self closing gates that have child-proof latches.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat