Three leaks around Solar water return

Yabbie

Apr 22, 2013
Hi forum folk, I have an in ground pool with vinyl liner. The pool is at least 20 years old (given the age of the chlorinator and sand filter). we bought the house three years ago and the pool has never been right. It has always leaked and we have put up with adding water weekly. Just recently its deteriorated and now if left alone drains to 1/2 full in a week.

Using a dye tester I have located two decent leaks where the water return housing meets the liner and a third leak perhaps 1" below the return (I discovered at least one of the leaks had been bogged up with silicon previously). I siliconed over the leaks and that has arrested the leak a good deal. I am thinking I should unscrew the return and glue a pool patch (a bit bigger than a DVD) to cover all the leaks and re assemble to make a better job of the repair.

I am thinking I should drain the pool to at least a couple of inches below the return before attempting the above OR should I drain the pool completely. I am concerned that the water left in to pool could put tension on the hole in the liner where the return fits and make a tear

Please help !

No need to drain completely. Just drain it a couple inches below the area of the leak and clean it up and put the patches on. You really wouldn't even have to drain at all except for taking the wall fitting out and trying to clean the silicone off.

P.S. Welcome to TFP.

Thanks for the advice. I have drained it to a couple of inches below the return. I notice there is lots of water under the liner (like a water bed sensation under the feet) is that ok to walk on or should I wait for the under the liner water to drain away ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.