Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding return for IG vinyl pool without draining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding return for IG vinyl pool without draining?

As you may know I am having to jack hammer up part of my deck to replace the skimmer and run a new suction side line, while I am at it I want to install an additional eyeball return fitting a few feet down from the skimmer location (same general excavation area) and I am wondering if this is possible without draining the water and removal of the liner. I am going to get the same model of skimmer as the existing one so with luck the old faceplate and associated hardware can stay attached and only the back and attachment gasket will need to be changed. So my questions are can this be done, can it be done as advanced DIY project, and is there any particular brand or type of return fitting that would make it easiest.

Ike

p.s. the pool is a 30+ year old wood frame vinyl pool and the current liner while still in good shape is 6 or 7 years old now.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding return for IG vinyl pool without draining?

I don't think you're going to have any luck installing a return fitting without draining the water below the place you want to install it. you could rig up a bucket or box that may seal to the liner and try it that way, but I wouldn't risk it. I'd just drain down below the place I wanted it and then [s:1q90kelj]take a knockout punch to cut the hole with. that way you could leave the liner in place. I wouldn't cut it with a hole saw. If you have an electrician friend they can probably borrow a knockout punch. You may even be able to rent one.[/s:1q90kelj] AND THEN I went back and read the p.s!

You can probably tape the liner real well and use a hole saw to cut it out. I would put a lot of pool lube on the saw and keep it cleaned off regularly. That will make the saw dust stick to it and keep it from getting too far behind the liner. Once it's sawn make sure you pull the liner out and clean behind it with some paper towels, etc.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bama you are still recommending the bucket or box to keep water away from the are the return is to be installed. That was one of my thoughts too. How would one secure the contraption is the real question? You need to force it down and against the pool wall. You could use a small pump to keep it dry if it leaked a little. This is an indoor pool....what type of structure is the ceiling made out of, and how tall is it.....any beams to tie into to to create a giant wedge that would hold box in place?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't mind doing a partial drain down to return level if needed, I am mainly wanting to leave a foot or so of water in the shallow end so as not to chance damage to the liner.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Ike,

On the intex type pools we just put the bucket/bowl/box over where the hole is with a person holding it in place, once we punch through the water inside the bucket drains out and pressure helps hold it in place. Once you've got the hole you'll have to move the bucket to place the return so some water will flow out. I'd put a winter plug in the return while placing it and then pull the plug after the plumbing is hooked back up and ready for pressure. If you're quick and have help you won't lose much water.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320