Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH low - benefit for exposing pebble aggregate?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH low - benefit for exposing pebble aggregate?

My CH is 170. Before I bump it up to 250 I have a question. I'm not entirely happy with my StoneScapes pebble finish. I think it could have been worked longer to expose more aggregate leaving less plaster exposed. Would leaving the CH at 170 for a while allow for the plaster to wear away a bit? If so, how long should I keep the CH level at its current level? The pool is 6 months old.
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH low - benefit for exposing pebble aggregate?

In theory, a low pH and low CH would create an environment for calcium to be pulled into solution from the plaster. How long this would take is another question though and I'm not sure how to answer that. My question though is whether or not your plaster is still under warranty? If there is a warranty on the finish or equipment right now, I would be very hesitant to mess with the chemistry in such a fashion that might put that warranty at risk.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, I have 6 months to go on the warranty. The PB never checked/adjusted the CH. I only recently learned it was low after testing with the TF test kit. The pH is 7.6.
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. Have you spoken with your builder about your perceptions of the finish and how you think that there isn't enough aggregate exposed?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I did shortly after the pool was filled. He wasn't concerned about the results and I can live with it the way it is but if things would improve over time with a CH of 170 rather than 250 I'd just leave it be for some time. But if there are other possible worse side effects I'll bump it up to 250.
    Pete

6. Back To Top    #6

Does anyone else have knowledge that will help guide my decision to stay at CH 170 vs bumping it up to 250?
    Pete

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Calcium is only one element in masonry products..... the others will remain when you remove the calcium.

Calcium leeching will VERY likely leave your surface pitted and the opposite of improved.

I have no experience other than what I have seen in my pool but I wouldn't attempt that.

I would bring the CH up to 250 as suggested.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all. Will do that soon.
    Pete

9. Back To Top    #9

I wouldn't advise maintaining a pool chemistry which promotes erosion of the plaster, I have saw many tiled/plaster pools where the grout and plaster has been eroded and it is not pleasant, some areas will loose lots of plaster whilst other areas will loose little or none, duraleigh is spot on.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC