Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

I've never seen this posted before, and I did a quick search and didn't see it, so I thought I would post it. I know I could just unplug the connector, but I really don't like the idea of having that much copper just sitting in the water, seeing as I already deal with high levels of iron in my fill water. I know how much of a pain iron and copper can be in pools. Not to mention it looks like they would restrict flow a bit.

How to remove the copper bars from your Intex SWG:

First, turn off and unplug your SWG. You can never be too safe! Unplug the connector for the copper bars, then unscrew the union from the piece holding the bars, and remove the whole assembly from the SWG. Don't lose the o ring! Make sure you have a way to stop the water flow (valves, plugs, etc.)!

So now, you've got this:

Those posts sticking out the top? This is painfully obvious, I don't know how I overlooked it. They unscrew!
    Using a small wrench or pliers, simply unscrew them!

A few turns with that wrench (or pliers!) and they'll pull right out.

Now if that bar doesn't just fall out, wiggle and pull, wiggle and pull, wigg - you get the idea. This may take some effort, but it will come out! One of mine fell out, the other took a little work. Go figure!

Repeat for the other bar. You're left with this.

Great. Now you've got these two little holes that are gonna spray water out when you put it back together. You're thinking "Why did I listen to this guy!?"
    Actually, now all you have to do, is take some epoxy or silicone and plug the holes. If you use silicone, make sure to follow the instruction on the tube about the cure time. Usually this is 12 or 24 hours to fully cure. Epoxy may be a better choice, and will cure in about an hour, but good luck getting it out if you ever need to. Silicone will peel out with a little effort, so if you decide to put the bars back in later (why!?) you can.

Now, just put this piece back into the SWG the same way it came out. Make sure the o ring is in place, because if you forget, you'll be reminded shortly! Open your valves, or pull the plugs if you have an Intex type pool with those little black plugs, and make sure you have no leaks. If you're not leaking, go ahead and start your pump. Wait 5 minutes or so and make sure it's still not leaking. If no leaks, go ahead and plug your SWG back in and turn it on. You're done!

No more pesky copper bars in your Intex SWG!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

Excellent "how to".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great job

What I did was cut out a piece of plastic (from an old 5 gallon bucket top) in the shape of a circle the diameter of the plastic piece that holds the bars and put that in with piece of rubber of the same size below. I like your approach better though.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Great job

What I did was cut out a piece of plastic (from an old 5 gallon bucket top) in the shape of a circle the diameter of the plastic piece that holds the bars and put that in with piece of rubber of the same size below. I like your approach better though.
    That's what I did at first too, except I used the lid from an empty dry acid container. It's lime green. But since I figured out the bars can easily be removed, I plan on replacing it.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the tutorial! I'll be doing this as soon as our torrential rains stop.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

6. Back To Top    #6

Instead of using silicone, couldn't you just replace the two rods back into the hole after removing the bars? Wondering if they would leak that way or not. I have an intex also and am glad you provided this.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fjd726
    Instead of using silicone, couldn't you just replace the two rods back into the hole after removing the bars? Wondering if they would leak that way or not. I have an intex also and am glad you provided this.

The rods only screw into the bars, not the plastic piece...so even if they stay in place I think they'll leak quite a bit. Still, I suppose you could put the rods back into place then use something to seal around them.
    John

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe take the rods to a hardware store and get stainless steel nuts to fit and fasten back in place. Looks like the upper portion is slanted to create a sealed surface.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Msgtdan, very good idea. Thanks. Then maybe use a hacksaw and cut off the excess. Just the OCD side of me coming out.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds good to me. Whatever works, as long as we can all get that dang copper out of our water!
    John

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    Maybe take the rods to a hardware store and get stainless steel nuts to fit and fasten back in place. Looks like the upper portion is slanted to create a sealed surface.
    This does work. Hubby happened to have the size we needed so we just put some nuts on ours and no leaks!

12. Back To Top    #12

I would expect stainless to eventually rust. Is brass an option.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm guessing the threads where the copper bars screw on are not a common size. Like where a PVC cap would be able to screw on?
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by kellyetheredge
    I'm guessing the threads where the copper bars screw on are not a common size. Like where a PVC cap would be able to screw on?
    No they are not. I used the intex threaded fitting and just cut a gasket and a backer plate that fit inside of it that worked though. But practically speaking I think you only need to remove the connection. Leaving the bars disconnected in the loop will not add much copper to the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Can anyone tell me if this applies to the 2014 model?

16. Back To Top    #16

Instead of silicon or epoxy, marine goop is usually extremely durable for these types of applications.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

17. Back To Top    #17

Serious question here: If you do put nuts on the bottom of each metal bar and someone accidentally plugs the live plug back onto the top because they think it came loose or something, what happens then? Is there a shock possibility?
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

18. Back To Top    #18

There's no shock possibility as long as they don't take the probe out of the line. And even if they do, it's not enough voltage or current to seriously injure someone.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

bumping old post but on my swg i unplugged the left and right side. is this enough? maybe i'll do the mod later on but just wanted to make sure that it's (2) sides you have to unplug.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
    bumping old post but on my swg i unplugged the left and right side. is this enough? maybe i'll do the mod later on but just wanted to make sure that it's (2) sides you have to unplug.
    If you're talking about unplugging the electrical connection, mine is on top and there's just one. Or are you talking about removing the copper bars?
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast