Pool being filled

pooly1

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Not sure if this is the right area to ask. Pools getting filled tomorrow with city water so a small amount of chlorine will be present. Im zip out of chemicals so based on my pool size what should I go pick up?

Have you tested your fill water? You may need acid to lower pH, or you may need Sodium Carbonate or Borax to raise it. Or maybe nothing. The only way to know is to test it.

You will need some stabilizer aka CYA aka cyanuric acid
You will need some bleach. Might as well pick up a few gallons; you'll be using it all up eventually.
Or you could try chlorinating, initially, with di-chlor shock, which will take care of both of those.

I suggest you test the fill water then plug the numbers into the pool calculator and let it tell you waht to buy. I'd also recommend Pool School, especially this article.

Most of the Chlorine in City water seems to be in the form of CC, which will not do you much good. As stated, you need to check the pH of the fill water and be prepared to adjust. Have some bleach and muriatic acid on hand. You will also want to get some CYA to add after you get things initially balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.