Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool being filled

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool being filled

Not sure if this is the right area to ask. Pools getting filled tomorrow with city water so a small amount of chlorine will be present. Im zip out of chemicals so based on my pool size what should I go pick up?
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Pool being filled

Have you tested your fill water? You may need acid to lower pH, or you may need Sodium Carbonate or Borax to raise it. Or maybe nothing. The only way to know is to test it.

You will need some stabilizer aka CYA aka cyanuric acid
    You will need some bleach. Might as well pick up a few gallons; you'll be using it all up eventually.
    Or you could try chlorinating, initially, with di-chlor shock, which will take care of both of those.

I suggest you test the fill water then plug the numbers into the pool calculator and let it tell you waht to buy. I'd also recommend Pool School, especially this article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: Pool being filled

Most of the Chlorine in City water seems to be in the form of CC, which will not do you much good. As stated, you need to check the pH of the fill water and be prepared to adjust. Have some bleach and muriatic acid on hand. You will also want to get some CYA to add after you get things initially balanced.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"