Folks - I have a 36x18 Pool with old Superflo pump and very old sand filter. Plumbing was 1.5". I snapped and decided to get the XF Intelliflo b/c I was tired of crazy electricity bills. I also went with a Pentair 420 Catridge filter to match up.
Reputable pool store told me XF would work fine with 1.5" plumbing (would just have to run it at lower speeds). I just finished the install and have some interesting observations and questions:
- I upgraded lines on the pad to solid 2" PVC with no hard 90" elbows (everything is gradual sweep elbows).
- The pump basket is never totally full like my old one. Even if I burst up to 3000 RPM. Water level in pump basket is about 1.5" from the glass
- I opened the air bleed valve on cart filter and air shoots out and then water. A half our later I go back to open air valve and more air comes out and then water a few seconds later
- I got it running for last hour at 1500 RPM – returns are putting out a lot of water – pretty much same return pressure as the old 1.25 HP pump at full speed
- PSI on Cartridge filter are like 1-2 PSI at 1500 RPM. Most I could get the PSI to was 7 PSI at full speed. I was told a large filter would require less cleaning but is pump able to feed this beast?
- Flow switch on chlorinator and heater is fine at 1500 RPM – so I must be getting atleast 25 GPM++
I put three steel clamps on intake poly line.. super tightened down, let all glue cure overnight.. no leaks anywhere on return side of pump.
- Not sure if the fact the basket isn’t getting full is somehow related to filter building up air? I expected the air to bleed out first time and not have air after that?
- Should I be concerned that pump basket isn't getting full or PSI on filter are so low?
Thanks guys - appreciate a second opinion (waiting for my pool guy to respond as well)