24' X 12' X 52" Ultra Frame Intex salt pump question

Apr 14, 2013
Just purchased the salt water pump for my AGP.

Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/19336123?wmls ... la&veh=sem

The existing pump needs power and so does the salt pump, do they both have to be plugged in or just the salt pump? Is it ok for the other to pull for water while the other is off and will it function like that?

I followed the direction but it does not indicate if the original pump needs to be on even if the salt pump is pulling anyways.

Intex sells the salt system by it's self, and as part of a combo package with a pump and a filter all mounted as one unit. The version you linked to is the salt system by it's self. The stand alone salt system does not include a pump of any kind, so it won't work unless the pump is on. Most people set it up so they are both powered from the same timer.

you can't put the SWG on a timer it has to have power for the memory. Once you turn the power on to the SWG and set how many hours it will run it will start up the same time every day and run for that many hours. I have the same size pool and I run my SWG for 5 hrs every day and I have the 2500 GPH filter cartridge pump and I have that on a timer to run for 12 hrs a day and my water always looks great. I did not choose to use the sand filter that came with the pool because I was not a fan of back-washing the filter and I have heard of people complaining of low flow alarms on their SWG.

right now I have to clean the filter every other day because of the spring stuff falling off the trees But in the summer I usually clean it twice a week. When I first opened the pool I ran the SWG for 10 hrs a day for 4 days until I could smell chlorine in the water then stepped it down to 5. when the water gets warm and people are in it I will run it 6 hrs in the morning but I still run the pump 12 hrs a day.

zaxs said:
you can't put the SWG on a timer it has to have power for the memory. Once you turn the power on to the SWG and set how many hours it will run it will start up the same time every day and run for that many hours. I have the same size pool and I run my SWG for 5 hrs every day and I have the 2500 GPH filter cartridge pump and I have that on a timer to run for 12 hrs a day and my water always looks great. I did not choose to use the sand filter that came with the pool because I was not a fan of back-washing the filter and I have heard of people complaining of low flow alarms on their SWG.

You have your swg and pump on separate 20amp circuits?

Heck No. I think the outlet they are plugged into is only a 15 amp and they are both running on a 25 ft extension cord to one of those Christmas light power strips. I have been doing that for years.

I actually put one of the little pumps and my big 2650 pump on a kill-a-watt a number of years ago just to see how much juice they pull. As I recall (will try it again in a few days again to get the real numbers), it was much less than I was expecting. That's why I also put the pump and the SWG on the same cord for years too.

I believe the best way to get everything going is to start the pump at the time you normally want it to come on and set it for the 6, 8 or 12 hour timer in the back. I would wait an hour, then turn your SWG on, program it for the length you want it to make chlorine, then walk away. The pump should always come on and the SWG should always come on afterwards. I can't remember if the SWG alarms "low flow" in the sleep mode or not......and I don't have the manual with me.....you might check.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.