I have had my pool for about 10 years - 18 by 38 vinyl liner diving depth. I developed a severe allergic skin reaction to the chlorine based chemicals and would get large blisters all over the exposed skin. I quit using the chlorine tablets and built my own copper ion system supplemented with Pristine Blue and shocked weekly with the largest bottles I can get of "Clorox". I understand copper doesn't kill anything other than algae and that is what I fight here in Southern Louisiana as my pool easily gets into the mid 90s in late summer. I had always struggled to keep algae controlled with straight chlorine and have far better luck with copper. I now think the allergic reaction was probably from the additives in the tablets rather than the chlorine itself but not totally sure.
Anyhow, is what I am doing with the liquid chlorine sufficient to kill the bad stuff? Is there a better source of liquid copper? I know there is no love for Pristine Blue here but it does work in my usage for algae control for the last 3 years with the additional occasional use of my copper ionizer - no staining or green hair.