Can you identify the brand of this pool? - Update - Wilbar?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
We are looking at this pool used on Craigslist. The current owners also purchased it used. It sounds like they never set it up. I know this is not ideal where we can't look at it set up and see everything run, but we think it is a good deal.

It is 33' round and 48" deep. The current owner said he thought it was a Doughboy, but wasn't sure. I know you experts on here can probably identify it by the outer liner.

So, what do you think? Any advice for purchasing a pool that is already torn down? It does come with a "fairly new cover, liner, sand pump, a vacuum cleaner, chemicals, a ladder (although it looks like stairs to me if there is a difference) and some tubing for cleaning and emptying. They are asking $1,100, but said they would come down to $900.

What do I look for as far as the pump/filter? How do I know if they are functioning or not? Is there any way to know?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

So excited, but so nervous at the same time.

P.S. I have tried to attach a photo, but don't know if it will attach or not.

Re: Can you identify the brand of this pool?

either way that is a good deal, but you have to figure in 500 to 800 for a new liner and i would also replace the skimmer. it looks like a real nice pool nice thick uprights and caps, i would let them know that you will have to replace the liner and tell them that it is 700 dollars and try to talk them down to 750 or 800......good luck

Well.........we took the plunge.........pardon the puno :)

We went and picked it up yesterday. We still don't know what brand it is. I really thought there would be some identification in some if the parts but I can't find anything yet. I see some part numbers and was thinking about trying to search by part number and see if I can learn anything that way.

We were told it was 4 foot deep but I think it is deeper then that. I haven't put a tape measure on it yet but it sure looks deeper.

It came with a Hayward pump filter combo. Just replaced last year. I think the model is S180T1580S. Will this be adequate for this pool?

It also came with a Wanda the Whale pool critter. Lots of pool chemicals which I don't know if we will use but I can possibly sell on Craigslist.

Everything was packed away very meticulously and I'm pretty confident everything is there. The pool liner was folded up really nice so may try and use it. We will see what it looks like when we unfold it.

Open to any advice you care to offer.

I cannot tell what the brand is. Doughboy makes a high quality product though and if it is one of those, that's a good thing. I do agree with woodyp though. Liners, once they have been used, don't like to be taken down afterwards. I would probably price out a new liner.

The pump/filter combo that you describe is fine for that pool, as long as it works.

I wouldn't even attempt to reuse the liner. Since it's folded up so nicely, place it out on the curb. The garbage man will thank you for having it folded so nicely so he doesn't have to wrestle with it. Once a vinyl liner is dry after holding water for so long, they get hard and brittle and lose their stretch. You are better off buying a new one.

Sometimes the skimmer will have the pool brand on it or its cover.

QuiltinMom said:
We were told it was 4 foot deep but I think it is deeper then that. I haven't put a tape measure on it yet but it sure looks deeper.
I think you are right and it is a 54" deep pool.

QuiltinMom said:
It came with a Hayward pump filter combo. Just replaced last year. I think the model is S180T1580S. Will this be adequate for this pool?
That filter is too small for that very big pool. It is a 1.75 sq. ft. filter. Assuming 54" deep, the pool is 25600 gallons. We would recommend a minimum 4.9 sq. ft. sand filter. With that said, like 257WbyMag said...you can give it a try, I just wouldn't be too hopeful. The pump is fine, though if you go for a large sand filter, the pump will be right on the edge of being able to backwash it (4.9 sq. Ft.) adequately.

linen said:
Sometimes the skimmer will have the pool brand on it or its cover.

OK, I'll have a look and see if there is a brand on there.

QuiltinMom said:
That filter is too small for that very big pool. It is a 1.75 sq. ft. filter. Assuming 54" deep, the pool is 25600 gallons. We would recommend a minimum 4.9 sq. ft. sand filter. With that said, like 257WbyMag said...you can give it a try, I just wouldn't be too hopeful. The pump is fine, though if you go for a large sand filter, the pump will be right on the edge of being able to backwash it (4.9 sq. Ft.) adequately.

If the sand filter is inadequate, will that mean that we will overwork something or just that we will need to clean it out more often?

As far as the pump size, would we be able to do any sort of water feature in the pool? Some of the fun things that you can add or would this be too much since we are border line on size.

We were considering digging the ground out and making a deep end, but maybe that is not a good plan if our equipment is borderline for being adequate.

I think we are going to look in to replacing the liner. Any suggestions on how to determine the correct size of the pool. Seller said it was 33', but before we order I want to make sure we get the correct size. What about if we decided to do a deep end, how do we determine the liner size we need in the expandable version.

I was on the ShadeBuilder.com website (I hope it is OK to mention that) and went to a website he recommended for purchasing a liner on-line. I couldn't find a thickness noted for the expandable liners (like mils or guage). Was I missing something? The brand I was looking at was Swimline (I think).

Any suggestions as to where to purchase a replacement liner? I want quality for a decent price.

THANKS for all of the help offered.

I've bought 2 liners online since 2007 (for 2 different pools) and always used Google to search out above ground pool liners, patterns and prices. The last liner purchase was through poolsupplyworld when I bought my pool in March.

If that is indeed a 33' pool, and you are wanting a deepend, you are going to be very limited on liner choices and they will look like this:

Blue
Blue with swirl bottom.

You won't find a decorative, beaded or jhook stretch liner either. You will lock yourself into an overlap liner. As far as pricing, when you google, it will bring up several companies/online sites that you can order from and list the g/mil and I'm sure they will all vary price with every site you look at.

QuiltinMom said:
If the sand filter is inadequate, will that mean that we will overwork something or just that we will need to clean it out more often?
Probably just have to clean more often.

QuiltinMom said:
As far as the pump size, would we be able to do any sort of water feature in the pool? Some of the fun things that you can add or would this be too much since we are border line on size.
You should be able too, that pump is pretty high flow as far as 1 hp agp pumps go.

QuiltinMom said:
We were considering digging the ground out and making a deep end, but maybe that is not a good plan if our equipment is borderline for being adequate.
I wouldn't let this filter stop you, you can always find another on CL if it is a problem. The pump should be fine.

QuiltinMom said:
I think we are going to look in to replacing the liner. Any suggestions on how to determine the correct size of the pool. Seller said it was 33', but before we order I want to make sure we get the correct size. What about if we decided to do a deep end, how do we determine the liner size we need in the expandable version.
Good idea on getting a new liner. You may be able to determine what diameter it is by number of top rails and length. For the expandable liner...I think 72" deep is the standard and since it is overlap, you just leave the excess overlaped.

linen said:
I was on the ShadeBuilder.com website (I hope it is OK to mention that)
No problem...that is a great site and I believe the owner is well known by folks on this forum.

QuiltinMom said:
The brand I was looking at was Swimline (I think).
I think that is the brand of expandable liner I have. It has worked great for 3 seasons now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Can you identify the brand of this pool? - Update - Wilb

Linen - THANK YOU for your post. I was a little discouraged after the previous post that said the filter is too small. I was beginning to wonder if we maybe didn't get such a good deal after all.

So, I've been searching the web trying to locate parts for the pool just from some of the part numbers on the pieces. I don't know if I need any parts yet or not, but I thought that may help me identify the brand of the pool. From the pool part numbers it looks like it may be a Wilbar. I also went and looked at the skimmer and the cover of the skimmer and I found a little cursive "W" on the back side of the skimmer cover plate. So I am pretty sure we have a Wilbar.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good brand? Any concerns with it? Where can I get more info on it and possibly somewhere to get parts for it if needed. (where I located the part number identifying it as possibly a Wilbar was just a question and answer area on shadebuilder.com, I think)

I'm off to see what I can learn.

Generally, Wilbar makes a good pool...they actually own a bunch of brands including mine which is Aqualeader. The problem I have with Wilbar there is no one good website of theirs to go to look at pools and parts :grrrr:
With that said, as long as the pool's structure is sound and the parts are all there, I am sure it will work fine. It looked good from the pic (but the devil is in the details...rust, bends, breaks, missing parts).

If you can unroll the wall and measure it's length you can use math to figure diameter from the circumference. My 27' was ~93' long when laid out, measured diameter before disassemble was 26'9". Mine like Linen's is an Aqualeader and I agree it's difficult to find anything on older pools on their website. They weren't real responsive to email contact either, once asking for details and after those were provided no further contact.

I've recommended shadebuilder here as I used a lot of his info before/during acquiring my pool. Dennis used to be on here and pool forum, not sure what happened to him.

On mine the top and bottom plates were the same so I had double the number, everything else I had 19 of each item. This made it easy to make sure I had everything. All the bottom pieces had lots of sand/dirt in them so I cleaned them all up real well before assembling.

If you go with the dug out with the overlap liner and the previous liner was j-hook or beaded you'll need to get coping strips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.