FC 0 5 5
TC 1 5 5
CC 1 0 0
pH 8 7.4 7.2
TA 130 100 80
CH 120 120 120
CYA 0 40 40
salt 2320 3800 3800

Since the first test I've shocked the pool with trichlor, added CYA and salt, aerated, added muriatic acid, and aerated some more.
I just added 5lbs more CYA today after the posted test, which pool calculator estimates will bring up CYA by 22ppm so I need to buy some more CYA tomorrow to get to the target 70-80ppm ($80 worth of CYA - seriously hoping CYA remains stable for the rest of the year!). The 5lbs CYA dissolved today maybe have dropped TA even further and most likely lowered pH.

So now do I need to aerate to get the pH up or let it drift up over time? The water temps range from mid 60s to 70s depending on ambient temperature so it will still be a few weeks before we're in the pool.
I've kept the solar cover off while aerating, so I'd like to stop aerating and add the solar cover if the pH will stabilize on it's own (via SWG) without aeration.

If your shocking I would guess its more likely to be Di-Chlor granular (Tri-Chlor is a slow dissolve tablet) but either way both contain Cyanuric Acid which will also raise your CYA level, I would slow down on raising your CYA, as it can take upto a week for the true CYA level to rear it's head and you could find you have overshot. I would just maintain chlorine and pH meantime until your sure everything ha settles, certainly don't rush out to buy more Cyanuric Acid. If you have Tri-Chlor or di-Chlor these an be used instead to gradually raise your ya level to the correct level.

Thanks for your response.

I should have been more specific.

After the first reading, I shocked with sodium trichloro-s-triazinetrione. I assumed that was commonly known as trichlor. It was a powder in 1-lb packs. I have a SWG, so I am not adding any more chlorine.

I added the first 10lbs of CYA on Saturday (April 13), a week ago. The CYA dissolved in about 4 hours, and the CYA test result was the same on Tuesday (April 16) and Saturday (today, April 20). I've backwashed daily since Tuesday [ETA: necessary due to Georgia pollen making the PSI increase on my filter by 15-18 per day], and tested today.
I added 5lbs of CYA today after testing and it's all dissolved now. Pool calculator estimated 5lbs of CYA will raise CYA by 22ppm, which isn't yet to target level. I'll wait a week to confirm the levels, but that seems accurate. 10lbs of CYA plus the initial shock treatment only brought the CYA to 40. It seems consistent that I need 10lbs more CYA (5lbs added today plus the need to buy 5lbs) to get up to the target of 70-80ppm. But I don't mind waiting a week.

So now that TA is where it's needed, do I need to continue to aerate or will pH drift up on its own?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.