Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I do something wrong with my salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I do something wrong with my salt?

Our pool was built last year. I have a salt cell and last year I measured the salt at ~3400ppm and the salt cell was working great, and we could hardly taste any salt in the water. I live in a fairly moderate climate so I didn't have to fully close the pool for the winter (just removed the salt cell and did some extra cleanup). The pool was uncovered and we continued to use the hot tub. It rained a lot during the winter, but the pool never overflowed that I saw.

I was expecting the salt and calcium hardness to be close to unchanged from last year (where would the salt and calcium have gone?), but both had dropped significantly. In the case of salt, it was down to ~2000ppm. I even bought new salt test strips to verify. So I went to the pool calculator and got the amount of salt to add, and I added that a few weeks ago. Now I measure 3400ppm again. But now there is a noticeable salty taste to the water. Its not horrible and I doubt my kids will even notice.

Did I do something wrong? Why the difference?
    16k gal IG pool with SWG and DiamondBrite finish
    Pentair Intelliflo pump with 520 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I do something wrong with my salt?

Do you have an autofill valve that i on? If you do, it i possible that you have a leak and don't know it. If you have an autofill, what is the ch of your fill water?

Since both salt and CH dropped it is unlikely it is both test methods being in error.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an autofill valve but I turned it off for the winter. The pool water level did drop a little after I turned it off but with the rain it never got down more than an inch or two. I'll retest the ch of the water supply- as I recall from last year it was rather high (~400).

4. Back To Top    #4

Could be a leak with enough rain making it look like it is not leaking? During other years is it typical for you to get a lot of overflow?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool was just built last spring so this was the first winter.