Sodium Hypo 1.5g per 100g

jay87

May 14, 2011
Gloucester, UK
Hi All

I have just opened my hot tub for the season . Am using the dichlor then bleach method so finished with the dichlor, now on to the bleach.

I'm in the UK. a value brand of bleach says less than 5% Sodium Hypo, but also 1.5g per 100g. Does this mean anything? Any indicator of strength?

Thanks

There was a time, way back when I was taking chemistry classes, when I would've been able to figure out molecular weights and so on and figure that out. But that was too long ago.

It's definitely not straight arithmetic, it's not 15%. My guess, being a discount brand, is that it's somewhere around 3%.

If EU regulations make finding stronger household bleach impossible, there is the same thing -but stronger - sold for sterilizing dairy equipment. A little online searching turned up 10% and 11.8% Here's just one of the links. If there's a farm supply store nearby, it would certainly be worthwhile to check pricing and availability.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.