Asking for help again!

Jul 19, 2012
Southern Oklahoma
So, I found this site last summer, my first summer with a pool. You all were a LOT of help then and so I am back with more questions. My season last year ended horribly, with some personal issues that were unavoidable, and I had to enlist a local pool company to close my pool. In the process, I discovered that my liner was absolutely shot. I have an inground 18 x 36 liner pool. I got started early this year, to have liner replaced and pool is now refilled. Water has been in about five days. The company that put the liner in obviously shocked the pool as they finished up, and it is currently clear, blue water. I tested this morning and my results are below. I am seeking advice on where to go from here... Thanks in advance!!!!

FC - 4
CC - 0.5
TC - 4
pH - 7.6
TA - 210
CH - 300
CYA - 0

My issue for all of last summer was an extremely high CYA level that was an ongoing battle of draining and refilling. I have no intentions of using chlorine tablets for this reason alone. However, I know that my CYA should be 30-50...what is the best way of adjusting this?

Thanks!

The easiest way to add CYA is to hang it in a tube sock in front of a return. I like to give it a good squeeze and shake about twice a day. I've tried dissolving it in a 48 quart ice chest and will guarantee you using the sock is faster and easier. And I would get some in there ASAP.

Your TA is high as well.

Thanks for your quick response! I know this sounds really stupid, but what exactly do I put in the sock? I never NEEDED CYA before, always needed LESS of it...so this is all new. Also, any suggestions on lowering the TA? Is this when I add Boric Acid? I promise I have read the Pool School manual, I am just confused. :)

The Walmart brand of CYA is very fine and breaks down pretty fast. Good stuff and it's pretty cheap too! I fill up a knee high, tie a knot and drop it in the skimmer basket. Let that pump run 24 hours and don't backwash for a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.