Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool hasnt't been used in 6 years

1. Back To Top    #1

pool hasnt't been used in 6 years

I am in need some help. We have an in ground pool aprx 18 X 36 that hasn't been used in 6 years.. Green as green could be...
    What is the best process... Don't want to spend the money to fill it again, Where do I start???? Help!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool hasnt't been used in 6 years

Welcome to TFP!

Start by reading Pool School and getting yourself a good test kit. Pool School is on the top right hand side of each page here at TFP. You are going to have to scoop out the trash and stuff from the pool and then shock it to clear algae. It's going to be some work initially.

3. Back To Top    #3

Order one of the test kits and start trying to scoop out all you can before it arrives. Green beats BLACK btw! Make sure all your equipment is function properly too. Add a signature line to your profile (like mine at the botom) and tell us what kind of equipment you have for easier diagnosis. Use the pool calculator to get a good estimate on your # of gallons.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome aboard wbrown75

Sounds to me like you need to pressure wash the interior for sure. Then you to realize all the insides pool plumbing lines, filter, valves, weirs, eyeball jets, return line etc. heater if you have one, are coated with algae,you'll need get rid of it with some kind of pressure washer both inside/outside (if you can gain access the through your plumbing lines?) http://www.cloghog.com/ Then refill your pool, Shock treat to kill any missed algae and follow up with http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_chemistry

One of the experts here may have a better idea on using a chemical algae kill for the inside plumbing pipes, filter, etc. The mechanical removal of algae w/PW would be my choice then Chemical kill. But then I own a PWasher and I'm into doing it the right the first time JMHO

Good Luck
    ktc211
    Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a system 3 filtration system s7m120, we want to try to save the water that is there... Don't know if that is possible.. It is very green and full of frogs & what ever we can't see at the bottom... We started by using 4 shocks... The pump is working as are the jets, not to full capicity... We know we will need to buy filters, etc, however we are unsure if this is the best route to take... Should we try to save the water we have, or do we need to drain it and spend 1,000 for new water... Can we clean it?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most pools don't require anywhere near $1000 for a complete refill.

You either have a HUGE pool or city water supply makes Bernie Madoff look like an honest man.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Lol !! My thoughts exactly too funny
    Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

8. Back To Top    #8

It will time take time, elbow grease, and a lot of bleach but it can be cleaned. Keep the pump running 24/7 and clean the filter when you noticed reduced flow from the return jets. Scoop out as much of the solid debris as you can. Brush the sides and floor daily. Be sure you read through Pool school, especially the sections on defeating algae and the shock process. The best tool for cleaning your pool is a good FAS-DPD based test kit, such as the TF 100. The test results will give you the information you need to complete the shock process efficiently.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

This is why I am here.... My pool is aprox 20 X 36.. The guy is charging 300.00 a load & he holds aprox 8,000.. Pool holds aprox 25,000 .. Does this sound wrong to you?...

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: People Shocked When They Learn You Use Bleach

How much liquid bleach is needed for a very green pool that hasn't been treated in 7 years... aprox 20 X 35?

13. Back To Top    #13

Best to keep your questions together, so I moved it.

You do not have to replace the water. You just have to follow the information here:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool

It is impossible to estimate how much bleach you will need. The more gunk you can scoop out, the less bleach you will need.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, before we suggest pressure washing, it would be helpful to know what type of inground pool it is (vinyl liner/plaster)?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

15. Back To Top    #15

Just a heads up, we really love pics of a swamp being saved
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing