pool hasnt't been used in 6 years

Apr 20, 2013
I am in need some help. We have an in ground pool aprx 18 X 36 that hasn't been used in 6 years.. Green as green could be...
What is the best process... Don't want to spend the money to fill it again, Where do I start???? Help!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Start by reading Pool School and getting yourself a good test kit. Pool School is on the top right hand side of each page here at TFP. You are going to have to scoop out the trash and stuff from the pool and then shock it to clear algae. It's going to be some work initially.

Order one of the test kits and start trying to scoop out all you can before it arrives. Green beats BLACK btw! Make sure all your equipment is function properly too. Add a signature line to your profile (like mine at the botom) and tell us what kind of equipment you have for easier diagnosis. Use the pool calculator to get a good estimate on your # of gallons.

Welcome aboard wbrown75

Sounds to me like you need to pressure wash the interior for sure. Then you to realize all the insides pool plumbing lines, filter, valves, weirs, eyeball jets, return line etc. heater if you have one, are coated with algae,you'll need get rid of it with some kind of pressure washer both inside/outside (if you can gain access the through your plumbing lines?) http://www.cloghog.com/ Then refill your pool, Shock treat to kill any missed algae and follow up with http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

One of the experts here may have a better idea on using a chemical algae kill for the inside plumbing pipes, filter, etc. The mechanical removal of algae w/PW would be my choice then Chemical kill. But then I own a PWasher and I'm into doing it the right the first time JMHO ;)

Good Luck :cheers:
ktc211

We have a system 3 filtration system s7m120, we want to try to save the water that is there... Don't know if that is possible.. It is very green and full of frogs & what ever we can't see at the bottom... We started by using 4 shocks... The pump is working as are the jets, not to full capicity... We know we will need to buy filters, etc, however we are unsure if this is the best route to take... Should we try to save the water we have, or do we need to drain it and spend 1,000 for new water... Can we clean it?

It will time take time, elbow grease, and a lot of bleach but it can be cleaned. Keep the pump running 24/7 and clean the filter when you noticed reduced flow from the return jets. Scoop out as much of the solid debris as you can. Brush the sides and floor daily. Be sure you read through Pool school, especially the sections on defeating algae and the shock process. The best tool for cleaning your pool is a good FAS-DPD based test kit, such as the TF 100. The test results will give you the information you need to complete the shock process efficiently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support