Winter deck replacement to composite, adding fireplace

Apr 8, 2011
Here are some pictures of my deck rebuild. I removed a 20+ year old deck and started over from scratch. Wish I'd taken a few more pictures. I started the fireplace before demoing the old deck. This was easiest for me to know it was in the right spot. Original deck was 16x16, I went with 16x18 to clear a window. Finished product has screened walls but an open canopy roof shade.

Attachments

• deck posts.jpg
    deck posts.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 166
  • deck posts2.jpg
    deck posts2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 166
  • composites going down.jpg
    composites going down.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 166
If I remember correctly there are 13 posts now, all about 3' deep. Before we finished the framing a trenched a gray water french drain from the kids bathtub to help my trees. 2 kids a bath a night, 300 gallons a week I was giving back to city! After framing but before decking I put down 12x 3cuft bags o aromatic cedar under the deck for our dogs' favorite spot. I plumbed natural gas to my BBQ and my fireplace. For the fireplace I made a log lighter from 1/2" gas pipe with 4x 1/8" orifices drilled. It can be turned up to a roaring fire, but the heat really goes right up the chimney. Reclaimed/ used materials, my glass panels are old shower stall doors, 2 were on the original deck, 3rd came across tearing down another house. Fireplace liner, curtain, log rack, gas valve I lucked out finding on another teardown.

Attachments

• gas log.jpg
    gas log.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 165
  • deck corner.jpg
    deck corner.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 165
  • bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165
The benefit of going with 16' width was being able to use full 16' boards with zero waste. Maybe not the best Idea but I did this project with out blueprints or drawings, mostly because I've been planing this in my head for a long time. I went with french doors to the stairs, I wanted big stairs, and a good sized opening I can close. I thought I could buy 30" screen doors of the shelf but alas, less than 32" is special order, adding $100 per $30 door. Instead I built my own from treated decking. Way stronger than your average screen door.

Attachments

• stairs door.jpg
    stairs door.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 165
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.