Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter deck replacement to composite, adding fireplace

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter deck replacement to composite, adding fireplace

Here are some pictures of my deck rebuild. I removed a 20+ year old deck and started over from scratch. Wish I'd taken a few more pictures. I started the fireplace before demoing the old deck. This was easiest for me to know it was in the right spot. Original deck was 16x16, I went with 16x18 to clear a window. Finished product has screened walls but an open canopy roof shade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter deck replacement to composite, adding fireplace

If I remember correctly there are 13 posts now, all about 3' deep. Before we finished the framing a trenched a gray water french drain from the kids bathtub to help my trees. 2 kids a bath a night, 300 gallons a week I was giving back to city! After framing but before decking I put down 12x 3cuft bags o aromatic cedar under the deck for our dogs' favorite spot. I plumbed natural gas to my BBQ and my fireplace. For the fireplace I made a log lighter from 1/2" gas pipe with 4x 1/8" orifices drilled. It can be turned up to a roaring fire, but the heat really goes right up the chimney. Reclaimed/ used materials, my glass panels are old shower stall doors, 2 were on the original deck, 3rd came across tearing down another house. Fireplace liner, curtain, log rack, gas valve I lucked out finding on another teardown.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter deck replacement to composite, adding fireplace

The benefit of going with 16' width was being able to use full 16' boards with zero waste. Maybe not the best Idea but I did this project with out blueprints or drawings, mostly because I've been planing this in my head for a long time. I went with french doors to the stairs, I wanted big stairs, and a good sized opening I can close. I thought I could buy 30" screen doors of the shelf but alas, less than 32" is special order, adding $100 per $30 door. Instead I built my own from treated decking. Way stronger than your average screen door.