This brings up a point that concerns me since using non-Clorox household bleach in my pool. I'm in Latin America, so the choice is pretty much off-brand bleach. After adding a gallon one night recently, the following day some swimmers reported a burning sensation or stinging in the eyes. I won't receive my Taylor test kit for another week, so I'm not able to report on any test values at the time.Originally Posted by stev32k
The word caustic has been mentioned. Something that is caustic can burn the skin. Could my non-U.S., off-brand of bleach be responsible for this burning sensation due to a high concentration of lye? Lye increases the pH. In general, does a high pH in swimming pool water cause stinging in the eyes?
I've just learned today that one of those swimmers that experienced this effect in my pool, also experienced the same effect today in a public pool, where they also reported a strong smell of chlorine. I've learned from reading this forum that that is not due to too much chlorine, but rather to too little free chlorine in the water.
I don't know if the following belongs in a separate post, but my original use of bleach a few weeks ago was related to the appearance of some green algae. I added a gallon and the green algae disappeared completely. What I have now is black spots on the pool walls and floor. I'm nearly certain this is algae, too. But when I added another gallon of bleach at night, and then checked the following day, the black spots were still there. This was five days ago. Yesterday, we added a gallon of muriatic acid thinking that maybe the pH was too high. No effect. [From reading this forum, shocking the pool with chlorine is how to deal with that problem, but I'll wait for your reply to this post. Again, still waiting on the test kit. Floundering in the dark here.]