Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which pool is better to bury?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which pool is better to bury?

DISCLAIMER: I'm aware that burying it will void the warranty, it could cave in, they make in ground vinyl pools, it will corrode, etc.

We basically want the largest oval AGP they make (21x43) and bury it to a foot above ground or to the waterline. I've done my research on here and I've narrowed my choices to two Wilbar pools. I'm not interested in Doughboy.

Diamond Star which has a one piece aluminum wall https://discountpoolsdirect.com/platinumpools.htm

or

Venetian which has a steel wall http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?ca...ven18#features

I was thinking the Diamond Star (Aluminum) would be better in the ground but I'm not so sure with people having good results with protected steel. Any opinions on which would be better in the ground would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which pool is better to bury?

The previous owners of my home did exactly what you are talking about. When one of the walls failed 3 years later it cost me $5,000 to remove it, fill in the hole, and resod my yard. My advice, put it above ground.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks ComputerGuyInNOLA, I'm prepared to take that gamble. I can see where that would be an issue where you live and I probably wouldn't consider there. Sorry I didn't state I'm in the desert and get 8" of rain compared to around 60" where you are. I'm really looking at which wall material will hold up better as I'm worried about the aluminum for some reason.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point. I wonder if anyone makes an above ground with some time of composite wall. I don't know how aluminum would stand up to your conditions. I would not trust any kind of steel. Good luck on your build!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are willing to take such a risk with catastrophic wall failure, why not just bite the bullet and go with a Doughboy then? They are more suitable with what you want to accomplish.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    If you are willing to take such a risk with catastrophic wall failure, why not just bite the bullet and go with a Doughboy then? They are more suitable with what you want to accomplish.
    I would consider Doughboy but it seems they don't sell pools online, especially when looking for their largest pool (21x41). I did call a place and the price was almost double that of a wilbar pool. I'm not convinced the Doughboy is made that much better for the ground.

7. Back To Top    #7

See my signature for what we partially buried in 2009, near Houston, so lots of rain. No problems at all whatsoever. We left 2 feet unburied. I would post pictures, but I always get the message file invalid, so have not been able to do that yet.
    AGP partially buried since 2009, with surrounding wood deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner, Barracuda pool cleaner. Pentair 1.5 HP single speed sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.