Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much sand to put in a Hayward GM series pool filter

1. Back To Top    #1

How much sand to put in a Hayward GM series pool filter

I don't have the manual or documentation. It says "Hayward GM Series" "High flow filteration". It's a sand based filter. I want to replace all the sand with new.... I can bareley make out the model number It says 2XXXXX. Is there a general rule for this. Also who sells the sand?
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much sand to put in a Hayward GM series pool filter

Each filter has a specific amount of sand required. Post a pic of it and someone may be able to identify it.

Why do you want to change the sand? It's almost never required.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

OK I got it Hayward GM152XXXX. I looked up online and found the manual. It's indicating 50lbs of pool sand????? Is this typical. It seems too little. My pool is roughly 14,000 gallons...
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what I have found as well (50 lbs that is). Yes that is a very small filter at 1.23 sq. ft. We would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter for your 14000 gallon pool.

By the way, I agree with Bama that changing sand is rarely warranted.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    That is what I have found as well (50 lbs that is). Yes that is a very small filter at 1.23 sq. ft. We would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter for your 14000 gallon pool.

By the way, I agree with Bama that changing sand is rarely warranted.

Thanks, My fear was the filter was small, takes quite some time to filter the water. Now I'm in the market for a new filter. I'm looking at filters on craigslist. Should I stick with Hayward or some other brand. Hayward seems pretty common. Also does the pump need changing. The pump is an A.O. Smith, don't know much about it (can find out though). Also with filter recomendataions does it matter how big it is, Is bigger always better. Example if I get something larger than 2.6sq ft?

6. Back To Top    #6

Within reason, you want the biggest filter you can get. With sand filters, the only issue with getting a huge filter is that your pump may not be able to backwash it properly. Post the info on your pump and we'll know more.

It doesn't matter which brand you get, but if there are more dealers of one brand than another in your area, it's usually a good idea to go with that brand because parts will likely be more readily available.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Here we go IT's an A.O Smith BN25SS it says 1hp on the label....

8. Back To Top    #8

That is the motor information, do you see another model number for the pump...it is often on the same label as the motor model number...and in this case since the filter is Hayward the pump might be a Hayward number.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have an inground or aboveground pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Do you have an inground or aboveground pool?
    Above Ground Pool. I did find another sticker on the side of the pump housing body that says Hayward Self Priming Pump, Unfortunatley the label is so worn that I can't make out the model. I've posted pictures of the pump and filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

That looks like a Hayward Powerflo 1 hp to me. If it is, then it should be fine for your pool, but a little too much for you existing filter. If you do look for a new (or used) filter in the 2.6 sq. ft. size range, that pump should be able to backwash it fine.