chlorine levels

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
I am still trying to figure all this out!! The pool store said my total chlorine is at 2.5 they say is perfect. I put all the numbers in the pool calculator and it says my chlorine should be at 9.0 to 15.0 and it says to add bleach??? so should my levels be 2.5 or 9???

Most pool store employees quite frankly don't know what they are talking about. They don't know how to associate your CYA level with required FC levels. And most can't measure CYA correctly, so even if they know there is a relationship, they will still get it wrong.

How high is your CYA level, and where did you get the measurement? It must be sky high for it to say 9.0-15.0.

JohnN said:
Wait for your test kit, but if CYA is really 118, you are in for a lot of draining. How does the water look? For now, I would get the chlorine up to 15, and never let it get below 9.
yeah I just want to see what my own test says, the water looks GREAT!! Crystal clear :whoot: So no other way to get CYA under control except to drain? I suppose I could refill with well water. Will the well water mess up chemicals? I have also had to drain about 6 inches off this week due to heavy rain, maybe that will help with the CYA levels too!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no iron test in the TF-100. A pool store can normally test that for you (DO NOT trust any of their other results....trust your own testing), or you can purchase an iron test separately....I seem to remember it's about $20 - 25.00.

My test kit came and its great. Here are my readings
chlorine 16
TA 190
PH 7.5
CYA 120
calcium hardness 231
I am even more confused than ever I think all the numbers other than Ph are totally off I have never had this amount of chlorine in my pool and it freaks me out. I am use to numbers more like 2 and 3. Will I always have to have chlorine of 10 or more unless I drain water and lower Cya? I dont want to drain my water until fall

How did you get CYA of 120? Did you mix 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water? If yes, then your CYA really is 120. If not, then it could be much higher. If you did not do the dilution, I would do the test again as detailed in the extended test kit directions, and use that number. If your CYA is 120, you will need to aim for a chlorine level of 15, ad never let it get below 9. If your pool ever gets algae or you need to shock, you will need to aim for a level of 33. I would suggest draining 50% of your water.

First you will want to do the CYA test with 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water. See here: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397
Your CYA may be much higher than 120. Pool store "shocking" and the shock process are different things. When we say to shock the pool, we mean bring it up to shock level (33 if your CYA is 120) and keep it there until you pass the 3 tests. See link about shocking in my signature.

He was basically saying that a high CYA number makes it very difficult if in the future you ever need to shock. However, the test is only valid up to 100. If your CYA is testing over 100, who knows how high it is. You need to do the half pool water half tap water test to know where your CYA is so you know your FC maintenance target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.