Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine levels

I am still trying to figure all this out!! The pool store said my total chlorine is at 2.5 they say is perfect. I put all the numbers in the pool calculator and it says my chlorine should be at 9.0 to 15.0 and it says to add bleach??? so should my levels be 2.5 or 9???
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine levels

Most pool store employees quite frankly don't know what they are talking about. They don't know how to associate your CYA level with required FC levels. And most can't measure CYA correctly, so even if they know there is a relationship, they will still get it wrong.

How high is your CYA level, and where did you get the measurement? It must be sky high for it to say 9.0-15.0.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Stop using pool store numbers. It will drive you nuts.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool store says its 118
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

right you are!!! I will wait for my test kit to come!!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

So the pool store is recommending FC of 2.5 with CYA of 118. Like I said above...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wait for your test kit, but if CYA is really 118, you are in for a lot of draining. How does the water look? For now, I would get the chlorine up to 15, and never let it get below 9.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

Dont take any water back to the pool store, their results can be inaccurate and confusing, with advice which is expensive and ill-informed. Just use them for the odd thing that you can't buy in the superstore, get your own kit, ask advice here when required and your good
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    Wait for your test kit, but if CYA is really 118, you are in for a lot of draining. How does the water look? For now, I would get the chlorine up to 15, and never let it get below 9.
    yeah I just want to see what my own test says, the water looks GREAT!! Crystal clear So no other way to get CYA under control except to drain? I suppose I could refill with well water. Will the well water mess up chemicals? I have also had to drain about 6 inches off this week due to heavy rain, maybe that will help with the CYA levels too!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Will the well water mess up chemicals?
    Test your well water for pH, TA and CH and IRON and post the results before adding it to your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Will the well water mess up chemicals?
    Test your well water for pH, TA and CH and IRON and post the results before adding it to your pool.
    will the t100 test kit test for iron or do I need a special test kit?
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

There is no iron test in the TF-100. A pool store can normally test that for you (DO NOT trust any of their other results....trust your own testing), or you can purchase an iron test separately....I seem to remember it's about $20 - 25.00.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

I am thinking of using powder chlorine. What kind do I use that wont raise calcium or CYA levels??
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

What kind do I use that wont raise calcium or CYA levels??
    There isn't any. That's why we don't like it for daily chlorination or shocking.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

16. Back To Top    #16

My test kit came and its great. Here are my readings
    chlorine 16
    TA 190
    PH 7.5
    CYA 120
    calcium hardness 231
    I am even more confused than ever I think all the numbers other than Ph are totally off I have never had this amount of chlorine in my pool and it freaks me out. I am use to numbers more like 2 and 3. Will I always have to have chlorine of 10 or more unless I drain water and lower Cya? I dont want to drain my water until fall
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

17. Back To Top    #17

How did you get CYA of 120? Did you mix 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water? If yes, then your CYA really is 120. If not, then it could be much higher. If you did not do the dilution, I would do the test again as detailed in the extended test kit directions, and use that number. If your CYA is 120, you will need to aim for a chlorine level of 15, ad never let it get below 9. If your pool ever gets algae or you need to shock, you will need to aim for a level of 33. I would suggest draining 50% of your water.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

18. Back To Top    #18

I done the test with all pool water that was what my test kit said to do . I don't really understand what your saying about if I have to shock my pool I. Would think that bringing my chlorine up from 2 to 16 would basically be shocking
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

19. Back To Top    #19

First you will want to do the CYA test with 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water. See here: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397
    Your CYA may be much higher than 120. Pool store "shocking" and the shock process are different things. When we say to shock the pool, we mean bring it up to shock level (33 if your CYA is 120) and keep it there until you pass the 3 tests. See link about shocking in my signature.
    John

20. Back To Top    #20

He was basically saying that a high CYA number makes it very difficult if in the future you ever need to shock. However, the test is only valid up to 100. If your CYA is testing over 100, who knows how high it is. You need to do the half pool water half tap water test to know where your CYA is so you know your FC maintenance target.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast