CC's after rain or just coincidence?

ouachita

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
I uncovered my pool to an above average amount of leaves and other winter debris this year. The water was a pollen and dirt cloudy but I didn't see any visual signs of algae. I ran my tests and went into shock mode. During a week of shocking I tested for CC's 3 times and had 0. The water was getting there and I could tell a sparkle was not more than a few days off. Well, yesterday a storm came through and blew all kinds of new pollen, pollen pods, and a few leaves in the pool. We got about an inch of rain. When I tested last night I had 1 CC. This morning I had .5 CC. I have not found anything anywhere other than the pollen pods and leaves that I can attribute this to.

Would someone please explain why I have none when shocking for a week and suddenly have CC's? Could the debris from the rain have done it? The water was about 60 when I started and 68 before the storm. Could the warming water have awakened some organic beast in my pool?

PH was 7.5. Have not checked since I started shocking.
AL 70
CYA Tested less than 20. I have been adding some this week. I have been using 20 for the pool calc
Borates less than 30
Shocking at 12

Using BBB

It's the debris that got washed into the pool. The bleach is trying to oxidize it, so you get half-oxidizes stuff - Combined Chlorine. Mechanically remove as much as you can from the water and just keep going with the shock process until you pass the three tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.