Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My new 1HP 2-speed pump arrived and I'm taking the opportunity to having the plumbing re-done, the pool is only 4 years old but after joining this forum I realized I never got a professional type plumbing job like most of you have, most of your pads look amazing compared to mine, my plumbing uses flexible hoses, leaks at connections, 1.5".

Anyhow my current pool guy said he will re-do my plumbing with hard PVC type plumbing and he will use connections to equipment that can be unscrewed instead of glued and that won't leak but he said because my filter is 1.5" that I won't be able to go 2" for plumbing, is that correct? I had always wanted 2" because I had it in my head that it was a superior flow for equipment. Is there anything I can change on the filter to retrofit it to 2" or have one part 1.5" and the rest 2". The other modification I asked was for an additional valve that would let me backwash to the back of the house if I wanted to instead of to the front of the street where it currently goes.

Is there any other modification you recommend I do while hs is re-doing the plumbing? I'm looking for any direction so I can make sure the new plumbing is done as best as possible this time around, your expert advice and experience is appreciated!

With the current plubming I can turn off skimmer, bottom drain, stair jets, wall jets, and probably some other stuff I'm not mentioning that you can tell from the pictures.

The only thing missing from the picture is my SWG which was taken down for the winter, as well that black piping is my sprinkler system, it's attached to my pool plumbing, I have a timer set that will fill the pool for X amount of minutes when it gets very hot in the summer and the pool loses water.

[attachment=0:xw1ib70d]Pool Plumbing2.JPG[/attachment:xw1ib70d][attachment=1:xw1ib70d]Pool Plumbing1.JPG[/attachment:xw1ib70d]

Re: Current plumbing pictures, need suggestions on re-plumbi

On the valves that you use frequently, I would replace the ball valves with Jandy valves. The ball valvers will become inoperable after a few years and Jandy's are lifetime.

Bama Rambler said:
Just because your multiport is 1½" doesn't mean you can't use 2" piping. Just tell him the use reducers right near the valve.

Thanks for the tip, I will mention that. Will that still provide overall flow improvement, or will the filter just bottleneck it? Can the multiport be changed to 2"?

I did have a problem where I noticed there was water everywhere in the Cabana and it turns out water was spraying everywhere from the head of the sand filter, so I'm not sure if this means it's just a seal change or does the whole multiport have to be change, it would be a good opportubity to change that thing now if that's what needs to be done and if it can be changed to 2" at the same time.

Could the fact that my old pump was oversized be causing problems like that?

Or could I have broken anything by turning the pump off and the back on right away with the Aqua Pod, and not giving it time in between?

Are there any best practices I should be watching out for, valves that I should be requesting that I don't already have.

If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have known to tell him to use a reducer so I can keep the rest of the plumbing at 2" if the multiport can"t be swapped out.

Thanks.

Just repeating what Dave said ... Use pool valves like Jandy as they will last longer.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Multi valve replacement part # is SP071621 and I'm ordering today for just over $100, so along with the 1HP 2-speed that arrived, I believe everything should be able to be re-plumbed 2" now.

I'm just curious, why wouldn't this be an industry standard, you would think the piping cost must be pretty insignificant and I've only read here how much benefit you get with flow from 1.5 to 2", it would seem like a no brainer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Why do we also see undersized filters and oversized pumps? Possibly misunderstanding on the consumer's part about what is important and money savings on the builders part.

The only difference I'm seeing is the replacement multi port valve does not have a winterize selection, does that matter?

How is the option replaced on a valve that doesn't have it?

Found my answer, "If your valve does not have this position identified, just position your valve setting between any two settings for the same result."

Okay so hopefully my plumbing will actually get done this sumer, so replace valves with Jandy valves was number 1, can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy them and part #.

In terms of configuration would you guys leave everything as is, you wouldn't change the layout?

What about valve actuator's, anything like that I could be adding now to use with my Aqualogic, Automation?

Google for the valves ... Jandy, Hayward, Pentair all sell comparable valves with similar warranties.

Note that they are sized as 1.5/2 or 2/2.5 ... what this means is the smaller number is the size of the pipe that will slip right into the valve. The larger number is the size of pipe that has the same OD as the valve and you can use a coupler to attach them.

If you are using 1.5" pipe, then the 1.5/2 is fine. If you are using 2" pipe, then I would suggest the 2/2.5 valves for lower head loss. There is a significant difference in the size between these 2 valves.

Actuators can be added to any of these valves in the future is so desired.

I can not really tell what is going on with the plumbing. Looks like you could use a single 3-way valve in front of the pump, but not sure how many return lines you have.

Note it is generally best to have the common pipe on the middle port of the 3-way valves.

Make sure to put unions on discharge and supply side of pump and filter.
Also make sure he uses schedule 40 or 80 PVC. Schedule 40 is white and is the norm, Schedule 80 is gray and more expensive but will last years longer than sch 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.