Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 7/5 WATER! *

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 7/5 WATER! *

Finally broke ground yesterday! We ran into a snag (second picture) so they are bringing the rock breaker today if the weather holds out for me.

Very excited to finally have the start of a hole in my back yard!

The excavation is the only part I contracted out. The guy who did my excavation for my house last year is doing it. He is very expensive, but he is very good. He digs for the local pool company and does 10-20 per year so I feel good that he will dig it right.

NOT what you want to see sitting in the deep end!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD

That's a big honking rock...are they gonna blast it? Pics of that would be cool! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Sciz Milson
    That's a big honking rock...are they gonna blast it? Pics of that would be cool! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

Best,

Sciz
    It was not unexpected, look further out into the woods, see the out cropping? We built last year and we had a fortune in blasting. He thinks he will get away without blasting and just using the rock breaker on this. The rock dives down from further away to closer so he is going to try to knock it down on the slope upward, spray paint the hopper on it and work the hopper down to grade.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Hopefully that thing isn't like Ayers Rock...

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD *UPDATED 4/22/13*

We're breaking some rock today!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 4/22 *

3 hours later, we went from a bolder to crushed rock!

7. Back To Top    #7

What a day, so after getting that boulder out they dig deeper and guess what? Yep, another layer of bolders. So 3 hours in the AM and 3 in the PM and 6 hours of rock breaking later we are within 4 inches of grade for the hopper. Working now on the last 4, hopefully able to finish the dig tomorrow!

My dreams tonight will involve a big swishing sound of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ swishing out of my wallet!

8. Back To Top    #8

Whatcha gonna do with all that rock? Could make a cool border/edging material...

I was still rooting for some blasting videos/pics...oh well...

Best,

Sciz

9. Back To Top    #9

Whatcha gonna do with all that rock? Could make a cool border/edging material...

I was still rooting for some blasting videos/pics...oh well...

Best,

Sciz
    We are in the process of digging a large pond too, well expanding a current existing pond. We are going to put some of the rock in there and around the edge.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 4/23 with question

Im a little concerned here. The entire left side of the angled part of the hopper is toast due to the rock that was in it. Is it possible to setup the string lines for the angle, and fill it back in with either dirt tamped down or even put some flowable fill in?

The excavator said he has seen one other dig this bad with rock and they had to use a ton of vermiculite to sculp the side.

I am thinking it would be better to sculpt it with dirt compacted or concrete where I can trial it in and make it smooth then put vermiculite over that.

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 4/23 w/question HE

Yikes! Any chance sliding the dig over a few feet would yield better digging conditions????

Best,

Sciz

12. Back To Top    #12

Yikes! Any chance sliding the dig over a few feet would yield better digging conditions????

Best,

Sciz
    Nope, only one realistic way to move it is towards the wood line which we asked, so they did a test dig several spots outward and it is solid rock the entire way.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

As a builder when I run in to that situation I use rock or concrete. No dirt it will have the chance to settle and crack vermiculite.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    As a builder when I run in to that situation I use rock or concrete. No dirt it will have the chance to settle and crack vermiculite.
    Excellent, im thinking of using a very aggregated mix of concrete, maybe mix it myself so it is thick and will stick.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quick question on the main drain installation.

Does the ground surface (filling hole with concrete) come to the black arrow. And then does the vermiculite come to the yellow arrow?

Much thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Re: DIY Under Construction In MD *Updated 4/25 main drain? *

We just use pool base around the main drains. Normally we set the drains about a half inch below grade taper away from them about one trowel length to grade. This will help keep auto vacs from catching on the covers
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby
    Im a little concerned here. The entire left side of the angled part of the hopper is toast due to the rock that was in it. Is it possible to setup the string lines for the angle, and fill it back in with either dirt tamped down or even put some flowable fill in?

The excavator said he has seen one other dig this bad with rock and they had to use a ton of vermiculite to sculp the side.

I am thinking it would be better to sculpt it with dirt compacted or concrete where I can trial it in and make it smooth then put vermiculite over that.

We ran into the very same issues. We live on top of a hill and guess what hills are made of???? Lots of rock! PB over dug a bit and used a portland/sand mix. He said it was firmer than vermiculite and it stayed very well.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnewman
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby

We ran into the very same issues. We live on top of a hill and guess what hills are made of???? Lots of rock! PB over dug a bit and used a portland/sand mix. He said it was firmer than vermiculite and it stayed very well.
    Excellent info, this is probably what I am going to try. Now that the excavator has it shaped well, its not as bad as it looked!

19. Back To Top    #19

Dig is complete! Have some hand trimming to do and some fixing of the rock wall!

Shallow End View

Deep End View

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for the pictures of that big old hole! Now you get a sense of big it's going to be....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast