Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: most trouble-free auto filler?

1. Back To Top    #1

most trouble-free auto filler?

I'm getting ready to remodel my pool and since I'm in Tucson AZ, we get lots of evaporation. Looks like all the auto-fills do about the same thing... just different floats and valves. Which design is the most trouble-free long term?

Any suggestions on retrofitting a gunite pool to make sure the balancing tube doesn't leak? (marine epoxy, hydorlic cement, etc.)

12K gal IG, plaster, Tucson AZ (no equipment currently)
    Late 1950's IG plaster pool approx. 12K gallons, no equipment, get'n ready to remodel, Tucson Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: most trouble-free auto filler?

Not sure if any are more or less trouble-prone than others...any of them can stick and run all week, or stick and not run all week

I have the lever type (as opposed to the sliding cylinder float type) and it works OK. It gradually slips and fills the pool higher and higher over time, so I have to reset it every few months. No big deal.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I also have the brass lever type vs the one that uses a standard plastic toilet filler. I have had the pool 8 years and have had to adjust it a couple times and replaced the valve once.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Well if all the Tucson folk are responding ....

Had a brass one at previous house and added one at current house. I think I broke the arm at previous house, which was an easy fix. I don't think you need as deep of a bucket with that type of valve.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Any recommendations on brand? (are the "big" names worth the extra price?)
    Late 1950's IG plaster pool approx. 12K gallons, no equipment, get'n ready to remodel, Tucson Arizona