Filter Lid on Hayward Star Clear Plus C900

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

There should be a knob on the top of the filter that holds the lid on. Is it tight?

Air getting into the system is usually an air leak on the suction side (between the pool and the pump), often the o-ring on the pump lid.

What does the filter pressure gauge read? What does it read when the pump is off?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Pool is approx 22,000 gal. The locking knob is tight. The filter is a cartridge filter. O-rings lubed. Concrete. Built in eighties. In Florida. The pump loses prime after about 20 mins or so. It looks like it may have been a DE filter at one time and I just had a tech out yesterday to replace the valve for the return jets. It's leaking air at the filter head. When the pump is turned on the lid pops up a little. I think I need a new locking knob. Or a whole new filter. Also the pressure gauge does not work.

Did you address these issues with the pool tech while he was there? All these are pretty fixable and it sorta' sounds like you are not very interested in DIY so could he come back out and fix them for you?

Oh no, I am totally interested in DIY. The tech was a nice guy. He did a good job on the valve replacement but he wants me to buy a new motor and a pentair filter that is nearly 3x's the amount of the current filter, not to mention the cost of the motor, and the motor I have is brand new. I just want to use my pool. Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The pump loses prime after about 20 mins or so. What does it do? stop pumpi9ng water and ill with air?

It looks like it may have been a DE filter at one time Why do you say that?

and I just had a tech out yesterday to replace the valve for the return jets. What valve did he replace? Got a pic?

It's leaking air at the filter head. Actually, pump running, it should be leaking water, not air, if it's at the filter.

When the pump is turned on the lid pops up a little. It should draw down, not pop up. Does it stay up?

Also the pressure gauge does not work. That's an easy one....replace the gauge. It is important to get that fixed if you intend to work on your other issues.

It still pumps but a big bubble appears in the filter basket and two of the return jets lose flow.

There was a backwash pipe?/ valve on it but it is a cartridge filter. The tech left it on but replaced the ball valve.

The valve he replaced is for the returns. The old one had ball valves that were broken. I just bought this house and it was vacant for three years. The previous owner used it as a rental a cut corners everywhere.

I can hear air escaping from the filter some where. The filter lid stays up. When you turn it on you can see it go up and when you yarn off the pump it drops back down. I tried to attach pics but file too big.

Ok. If you have air escaping from the filter with the pump on, then you have a sizeable suction side leak that is sucking in air somewhere between the pump and the skimmer. The pump then sends that air into the filter and compresses it so you hear it coming out......rendering your filter not very effective.

My first step (after replacing the gauge) would be to find that suction side leak. It is almost never underground but can be from a lot of places, including the water being too low so that air is being sucked in thru the skimmer. Start at the skimmer and work your way back to the pump.....you need to find and fix that leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You what that makes a lot of sense. I noticed it got a lot worse after I tried to vacuum the pool. Thanks. Could a crack in the skimmer housing? Sorry I don't know the terminology, cause that kind of suction leak? There's a crack that someone tried to patch in the skimmer.

I just found a leak (h2o) on the suction side, one of the PVC fittings. Thanks. I love this site. I can't thank you enough. Even if that not the only problem you've got on the right path and I really appreciate it. I swear its as if slack jawed yokels put this thing together. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.