Sand in Pool

Oct 1, 2012
I started my pump and filter for the first time and it was throwing sand in the pool. It did this the first start up last year too and never again the remainder of the year. Anyways, as I was vaccuming, the pump started making a strange noise and now it won't start back up. Any ideas?

We would not know what that sounds like since we do not recommend pour stabilizer into the skimmer ;)

Seems like you may be hearing debris / sand going through the impeller.

We recommend putting it in a sock and either hanging it in front of a return in the pool or setting it in the skimmer. That way you know when it is fully dissolved and it will not potentially clog your pipes.

Dumping it into the filter, you never know when it is dissolved and if you backwash, you may end up losing some of it out to waste.

Well that is the thing, if you pool was a mess at the beginning of the season and you were trying to clear it, the filter could clog in hours. If you needed to add CYA, obviously putting it into the filter would not be a good idea in that case.

That is a great idea. Thanks again for the advice. I will definately be doing that. For now though, I need to figure out this pump. I will go out tomorrow after work and turn it on again. I did notice though the first day I turned it on, it sounded like a stone rattling around inside but it went away after a few minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.