Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A unique idea? (Dane's pool thermometer)

1. Back To Top    #1

A unique idea? (Dane's pool thermometer)

After my Acurite digital thermometer stopped working I looked for a decent replacement but that doesn't seem to exist. I looked at the standard floating Alcohol thermometer types but many reviews warned of low quality overall or problems with buoyancy (floating on its side).

How about a giant meat thermometer tweaked to float?

I bought the "CDN IRXL220 ProAccurate Insta-Read NSF Large Dial Professional" model from Amazon for $9.

The only tweak that was done to make it float was to attach a round piece of foam under the dial. At this point it's been floating in my pool for 6 weeks and no leaks. I did seal the calibration nut with silicone just to be sure and this also keeps the foam from coming loose.

I like that this thermometer can be read without removing it from the water. Mine tested to be pretty much dead accurate so no change was needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A unique idea? (Dane's pool thermometer)

Here it is floating in my pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Back in the good old days Kodak made a dial thermometer for dark room use that read from about freezing to 140 degrees.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I have one of these ... which is pretty similar, but sits in the skimmer:

Ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks good, I don't think you can buy a "good" pool thermometer, they are all cheap xxxx. If there was one that was graduated from 50 deg to 100 deg the resolution would be better.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Made my own skimmer thermometer

Same idea as the Jandy one I saw for sale. I found this industrial stainless temp probe on ebay, 5" dial, 120f max with a 12" probe. After shipping I think I paid less than $30 for it. I did need to drill a tiny hole in my skimmer basket b/c its a tad too long. Large dial, easy to read, really hope it holds up. I like the idea of measuring the return temp because this should give you a better average reading.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

7. Back To Top    #7

That 5" dial looks huge. I like.

Those "inside the skimmer lid" ideas can't work for me because my deck covers the lid.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great idea, thanks.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Now that looks inventive... I am needing a new pool thermometer since mine was giving me wildly varying readings at the end of last year that I didn't believe at all. Will have to try this out.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

10. Back To Top    #10

Great ideas!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

I was looking at something I received in the mail from PoolSuppliesdotkom and noticed my idea has been stolen. Has been stolen!

http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/acc ... hermometer

Hey, I think it's cheaper..oh yeah, shipping. See, mine's a better deal.

12. Back To Top    #12

For several decades, I have used an old-fashioned stainless steel Taylor on an insulated wire so that no copper is exposed to the water. It came with a rope but they rot away. I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.
    Since my pool is drawing from both the skimmer and main drain there is no temp difference from top to bottom unless it is less than the 1 degree resolution of my temp sensor. I can draw from either the skimmer or the main drain and the temp is always the same.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017
    I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.
    Since my pool is drawing from both the skimmer and main drain there is no temp difference from top to bottom unless it is less than the 1 degree resolution of my temp sensor. I can draw from either the skimmer or the main drain and the temp is always the same.
    You must run your pump a lot. I do fine with two 4-hour blocks. I definitely get a temp gradient on a hot sunny day, and a small one on a cloudy day due to convection.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

15. Back To Top    #15

yeah, when I'm in the pool my pump is on. I never notice a difference in temp from the bottom to top...although I have only 4 feet of water. I have serious circulation going on...if I'm floating I might get caught in a giant whirlpool.

16. Back To Top    #16

The level of innovation that I continue to see on this forum throughout the years continues to amaze me.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017
    You must run your pump a lot. I do fine with two 4-hour blocks. I definitely get a temp gradient on a hot sunny day, and a small one on a cloudy day due to convection.
    Right now it is on from 9 am to 6 pm.

18. Back To Top    #18

When I leave my cover on till late afternoon then open it up, my top foot of water can be almost spa like with the remaining lower water refreshingly cool! Its quite remarkable, but i've never tested the differing temps. Once we get in and move it all about it becomes balanced. I think I'll get two thermometers and rig it up for curiosity sake.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

19. Back To Top    #19

I just make my kids get in the pool to check the temp. Actually, I like it. I have a controller that reads temp but having something floating in the pool is nice. They have tons of options for grilling that are wireless, maybe one of those could be adapted?
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

20. Back To Top    #20

An interesting idea I saw today while doing research for some work stuff. Crestron makes a thermometer thats designed to be planted in concrete as you pour it. Might be a very cool option if you're building a pool.

Crestron is insanely expensive but I'll bet you could do a bit of research and come up with something that works nicely with an arduino.

14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter