Noise after pump turns off

jm2267

Apr 18, 2013
I have a 25,000 gallon inground pool. It is pumped through a Hayward filter and a salt-chlorine system. Over the last year or so I heard a noise from the pipes after the pool turns off. The motor and filter are located just outside our bedroom window and is quite annoying. It sounds kind of like "bloop, bloop, bloop" coming from the pipes. In order to stop it and get some sleep I have to go outside to the Hayward filter and open the orange valve on the top of the filter. Air bleeds out for the next 30 seconds or so then slows down and stops. The air stopping occurs at the same time as there is bubbling of water at the trap just next to the motor. The noise then stops only to return the next night after the pump turns on and off. I have no idea what started it or how to fix it. Any ideas?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

When you open the air bleed, are you sure air is going OUT and not being sucked IN? With the pump off, there should be no pressure in the filter, when you open the air bleed, you are allow air into the filter and the water to drain out back into the pool through the pump. But, the next day when the pump turns on , it must reprime and you should be opening that air bleed to purge the air so the filter is full of water.

Before the pump turns off for the night, try opening the air bleed and see if air comes out. It could be that air is in the filter and getting compressed. Then when the pump turns off, the air is pushing the water back into the pool/pump making the noise.

If air keeps showing up in the filter when the pump is running, that points to a suction air leak before the pump.

The most common places for a suction side leak to be are:
Check the skimmer to see if it's creating a vortex when the pump is running.
Check the skimmer weir to make sure it swings free and doesn't stick during it's travel.
The pump basket lid; Clean, inspect and lube the o-ring really well.
The pump drain plugs; remove clean and reseal them.
After that check the plumbing by running water over it and the fittings and watch the pump baket to see if the bubbles lesson while running the water.

You need to purge the air out of the filter with the pump on. Then see if air gets back into the filter with the pump running. The air in the filter could be what you are letting in when opening the valve with the pump off ...air might come out at first, but then it would be sucked in when the water drains.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

My mistake!!! Air is not being blown out. It is being sucked into the filter when I open the valve. I just checked and don't know how I could have thought it was blowing out. My apologies for giving the wrong information. Having now said that, what is causing the noise now that air being sucked in for 30 seconds stops the noise? Sorry for the confusion.

Hard to say since we can not hear the noise.

Make sure you purge the air with the pump on. After running for a few hours, go back and see if more air is in the filter or not.

Do you see any water leaking out of the filter? If there was a small air leak there, you could be hearing the filter slowly draining of water after the pump goes off.
Or you could be hearing the air in the filter pushing the water back.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.