Before and after iron stain removal

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
Just thought I'd show what my pool looked like before and after treatment with Ascorbic acid treatment. The results are pretty amazing to me. Here are the before pictures.

Attachments

• deep end before acid cleaning.jpg
    deep end before acid cleaning.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 167
  • shallow end before acid cleaning.jpg
    shallow end before acid cleaning.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 166
  • skimmer before acid clean.jpg
    skimmer before acid clean.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 166
I read though the write up on doing the acid cleaning and one thing it said was that the filter should be in recirculate mode to bypass the filter while cleaning. It said that flowing though the filter could cause problems. So I followed instructions and put the filter in recirc mode. However, I also wanted to rid the filter of any iron that could get back to the pool. So my solution was to put the filter in backwash and allow it to flow until the backwash water was completely clear. Then with the pump running and the filter in backwash I added 1/4 cup of AA to the skimmer, counted to 10 and shut the pump off. After 1 hour I just jogged the pump by turning it on for 2 seconds then off again. After 2 hours I repeated the jogging. At three hours I turned the pump on and watched the backwash water coming out. It was clear for several seconds then turned tea colored, then blood red. It ran blood red for several seconds, then tea colored, then cleared up.

That was an eye opener for me so I repeated the whole sequence. The second time I didn't see any discolored water after soaking the filter for three hours.

todd.scallions said:
Man, it should look A LOT better than those after pics you posted. I can still see stains all over the deep end in your after shot. How much AA did you use?

Yeah, I see the lines in the corners. They show up in the picture more than in person. I could have used more AA or let the water circulate longer, but I got excited at how clean the pool looked. The pool did not look clear blue before the treatment. It was kind of off blue with a yellow cast. When the AA hit it started turning a clear blue almost immediately and in hindsight I should have allowed it to work longer. I'll try to do better next time.

I looked at it again this morning and the lines in the corners do not show up unless I put on polarized sun glasses. The picture was taken with a polarized filter on the lens so they show up pretty good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.