Rewiring Intex salt water chlorine system bypassing pump

Apr 18, 2013
Edit - since this was moved to it's own topic.

I own the SWG/Pump combo for my Intex Pool. It's a cartridge filter and I want to get upgraded to a sand filter. I don't want to have to buy a whole new SWG but instead, just add the pump. I saw other places that people just cut the electricity to the normal pump.

The question I have is how do you run them in sync (the sand pump and SWG)? just plug them in at the same time and set the timers for the same run time like 2,4,6 hours? Can you mod the sand pump to run off the original timer on the original unit by splicing the electrical?

Thanks for any advice!

elwood58 said:
Sand filter is for filtration and the SWG is for chlorination. You need them both.

Thanks, I am not sure you are understanding. I know I need a pump. I want to bypass the built in pump on the existing system and use only the sand filter pump setup. Meaning not having 2 pumps running, only one. I think I got my answer elsewhere though! Thanks for taking the time to respond :goodjob:

I think I am going to just leave them together. I am not going to cut the pump off the old system as I think it actually helps with more flow. I can feel more water going out the return when it is on. Rather than break something, I am happy. Thanks for your thoughts!

I think I am going to just leave them together. I am not going to cut the pump off the old system as I think it actually helps with more flow. I can feel more water going out the return when it is on. Rather than break something, I am happy. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi spinuzer. How is that working for you? I have a Intex saltwater combo with pump and filter and my current pool has is own sand filter and pump. I wanted to adapt the chlorine producer only.

It has passed two years now from your last reply, so i guess you probably already know if it works... ;)

Thanks!

Hi Pavao, im in the same boat.I have the saltwater system with cartridge filter and I'd like to add a sand filter pump combo.
Did you have any luck finding out if you can just run one pump or do you run both.
Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.