Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Rewiring Intex salt water chlorine system bypassing pump

Rewiring Intex salt water chlorine system bypassing pump

Edit - since this was moved to it's own topic.

I own the SWG/Pump combo for my Intex Pool. It's a cartridge filter and I want to get upgraded to a sand filter. I don't want to have to buy a whole new SWG but instead, just add the pump. I saw other places that people just cut the electricity to the normal pump.

The question I have is how do you run them in sync (the sand pump and SWG)? just plug them in at the same time and set the timers for the same run time like 2,4,6 hours? Can you mod the sand pump to run off the original timer on the original unit by splicing the electrical?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Rewiring Intex salt water chlorine system bypassing pump

Sand filter is for filtration and the SWG is for chlorination. You need them both.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

Not sure if they can be modded, but you could set up a timer on the outlet they plug into and set them to run when ever they have power.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    Sand filter is for filtration and the SWG is for chlorination. You need them both.
    Thanks, I am not sure you are understanding. I know I need a pump. I want to bypass the built in pump on the existing system and use only the sand filter pump setup. Meaning not having 2 pumps running, only one. I think I got my answer elsewhere though! Thanks for taking the time to respond

I think I am going to just leave them together. I am not going to cut the pump off the old system as I think it actually helps with more flow. I can feel more water going out the return when it is on. Rather than break something, I am happy. Thanks for your thoughts!