Heater has vibration?

Oct 10, 2011
My pool heater (Gulfstream Heat Pump) is making more than normal noise this season and has a vibration going on in the condenser fan or motor. All seems to be working fine but the noise from the vibration is anoying to hear when trying to sit at the pool. I am thinking that the fan blades are somehow out of balance. I dont know how they got that way but I suspect the got whacked maybe by a falling something or another. There is no dent to indicate this though. There is no screaching sound as if the bearings are ceasing up. There is a shaking though and the resulting noise. Its not too bad but I feel I should address it before it becomes worse or causes bearing failure. Any help or insights would be appreciated.

I have a Gulfstream too (HE125-T-A heat and cool).....

A few things I can think of that you can check without actually doing anything to the unit:

1. How is your unit sitting? Is it on a slab or pavers, hopefully not wood? If pavers has one sunk into the ground a bit? be sure the base is firmly sitting on the substrate
2. Did you use any type of shim (hope not) under your unit that has since come out?
3. Are you connections (unions for water?) to the heater loose

Anything other than these is potentially an internal problem (possible fan bearings, etc...)

may I ask how old your unit is?

I would Call Gulfstream Tech support at 954.318.6900 or email [email protected].

Let us know how you turn out
- Jim

I took the fan/motor outyesterday and found nothing loose or out of the ordinary other than the motor seemed quite warm. It was too warm to put your hand on it and leave it there.The blades seemed top spin freely though. There was one blade that has balance pin inserted in it but I can not tell if it is all there or if there is a part on the back that has come off. It looks like a smooth shank short nail that sticks out about 1/4 inch on the back but nothing is on it, just the stud sticking out. This is obviously the balance weight or whats left of it.

I did email them and have not heard anything back yet. Hopefully today though. The unit is a GS 1000 H-A which is about 4-5 years old I think. I picked the unit up used from a guy in Florida that moved and didnt need it any longer. Being in NC myself I am not in an area that has service available locally and unlike other brands of heaters there is no listing of parts available on the net. Sure hope that they respond today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.