Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 spd? Question about pump.

Hello,

My pump just went out a couple of days ago. It had a very old Century Smith AO 1hp motor but the circulation was pretty good. I just ordered a Hayward (SP15922S)Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 speed pump to replace it. I ran my previous single speed pump about 8 hours a day year round. Sometimes I'd cut back the hours a little in the winter. I'm not sure how I will run the new one. I'd like to utilize the lower speed and save some money on the electric bill. I also have a small water feature that is a fish spitting water into the pool. This is on a valve and can easily be turned on or off. I also have a Polaris turtle leaf skimmer that I used to use. Will the new pump be able to push the fish fountain, the Polaris, or both on low speed? I may start using the Polaris again in the summer if needed. However if running the pump on low speed for 20-24 hours a day keeps it clear enough to not need the Polaris then I'll keep it out. I like having the sound of the fish fountain all the time though. Will low speed push it enough so it's spitting water out of the pool?

One last question. How can I keep the pool from turning green over the next few days until the new pump gets here?

I have a 21' above ground round pool with a sand filter. The pool is actually dug in about 3/4 below ground level. I believe it is around 10,000 gallons.

Thanks!

Re: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 spd? Question about pump

Hard to say what will work correctly on low speed until you try it, I am not sure what the turtle leaf skimmer is.

You likely will not need to run the pump on low for as long as you state. Sometimes running for multiple periods in the day can help skim the surface before stuff sinks ... maybe try 4-5 hours 3 times a day on low? It is all experimentation for what works with your pool.

You can keep from going green by maintaining the appropriate FC level (based on your CYA level) using bleach and then brushing very well to ensure it is thoroughly mixed and not pooling on the liner

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Re: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 spd? Question about pump

Okay, Thanks. Guess I'll have to wait until it comes in to try it. Here is a picture of the pool from last summer.

MyPool_zps9a9729ea.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.