Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock Process

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock Process

I am using the shock process detailed on Pool School, and this morning I went out to test my FC so At 0740 it tested FC-6 CC-0. I added the recommended bleach as per the pool calculator. Then at 0910 it tested FC-13, CC-0.5. I waited until 1210 and it tested the same. I have added enough CYA to bring it up to 30 from 0 so my FC shock value should be 12, that has been my target throughout the whole process. Is this a concern or is this normal?
    30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock Process

You should have lost at least some due to sunlight. Maybe the algae is all dead and it's overcast today?

How does the water look?

There's always the possibility of testing error. The accuracy is +/- one drop, and if the sample was off by a ml or so, it's possible.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also be sure that you are using a Heaping spoon of the DPD powder, or 2 level spoons. This is more important as you get to higher FC levels.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is very overcast today. Yesterday it was very sunny and I added bleach every hour until last night. As or the condition of the water, when I started you could see the bottom in some places of the pool. After brushing and sweeping you can not see the bottom at all however, the color has changed to a lighter green compared to what it was Yesterday. It seems after I sweep it stirred everything up.

As for the DPD Powder I use 2 spoonfulls not exectally level but not heaping. As soon as I drop one spoon in it turns dark pink.
    30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the water turns a good pink on the first scoop, you should not need to add the second.

What is your filter pressure? What is your clean filter pressure?

If you have a lot of stuff floating, you may need to backwash to keep things improving.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Filter pressure is around 12 psi, when it gets up to 15 I backwash and it comes down to 12. There is allot of thing floating around in the pool. I have a light on one of the returns and when I turned it on last night you could see all the stuff in the water.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can always see "stuff" in the water at night with an underwater light, even when everything is working perfectly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

It is disturbing how much stuff is suspended in my water that you only see with the light on ... but the water seems crystal clear in the daylight.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

After two days of my FC level up to 12 during the day and the next day it drops to around 10, I then bring it back up to 12. I also have added enough CYA to bring it up to around 25-30. All together I have used 14 gallons on bleach since I began three days ago. I am not seing any difference in the water clarity. I have been brushing the sides and bottom everyday, I even vacuumed once, I plan on doing it again tomorrow. Could it be a problem with my filter? I have already replaced the pump and it has good suction and return. My filter pressure remains around 10-11, when it gets up to 15 I backwash and rinse.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

when it gets up to 15 I backwash and rinse.
    How often is that happening?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    when it gets up to 15 I backwash and rinse.
    How often is that happening?
    Only once today and about 3 times yesterday.

12. Back To Top    #12

So, I did the OCLT: Last night FC-12, this morning FC-10.5, the filter pressure went up 15%, and no change in water clarity Does this mean I still have algae in my pool and filter is cleaning out the dead algae? It just seems to be taking awhile to see a change in water color.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Does this mean I still have algae in my pool and filter is cleaning out the dead algae?
    Pretty much. As long as you lose more than .5 ppm FC when you do the OCLT, you know that your chlorine is being consumed by organics. Stay patient.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I am on day 12 of this process. I have kept the FC-12 and CC is either .5 or 0, I have tested my CYA and it is around 20-25. I can see change in the water clarity and can see my brush and sweeper at the bottom. Today I happened to find DE and added it to my filter as per pool school, the directions on the box were very similar to pool school. I think clear blue water is around the corner.

This is the first day I moved into my house.

the day I started my pump.

23 April 13

Today.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would suggest letting the filter go to 16 or 18 before you backwash. A dirty filter filters better....

Something about your pic posting didn't work. Maybe the mods can fix for you...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com