Baking soda instead of Bioguard Balance Pak 100

I wouldn't add anything based on pool store advice. They often just say you need something so you'll buy it.

Get your actual TA number before proceeding. 19 pounds of baking soda will raise your TA by about 300ppm in 10,000 gallons or 150ppm in 20,000 gallons. Unless your pool is 30,000 gallons or more there is probably never a reason to add that much baking soda to a pool.

Balance Pak 100 is just baking soda, so you'd use the same amount.

Thank you!! My pool is 23k gallons and my total alkalinity was 70 I added 8 pounds baking soda!! Will have water tested tomorrow. I think I need too invest in a good test kit!! I am a newbee! My pool was built lasy year and I spent WAY to much on chemicals. Could you also give me advise on shock vs bleach? I just want to make sure the water is safe for swimmers. I am currently using bioguard shock * swim. Like the product, hate the price.

jodyliebing said:
yes please do!! And what kind of test kit would you recommend??
There's an article in Pool School that will tell you. Or skip it and just go to tftestkits.net and get a TF100. I'd recommend springing for the XL option since you'll burn through a lot of reagents initially playing with the new toy. A speedstir is also worth the money.

If you read the pool school link in the upper right it will explain in detail, but to put it simply when you use trichlor it adds both chlorine and CYA stabilizer, at some point the CYA builds up to a point where it is "overstabilizing" your chlorine and then the only solution to the problem is to drain some / most of the pool water and replace it to get the CYA level back down to a manageable level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh my. Well I would be ok just not using it if it is not needed, I just listened to the pool place and they said keep it full!! Also another 150 dollars a season. Would I then have to use more chlorine when I add directly to the pool? Last summer I used a 1 pound bag a week sometimes 2.

Welcome to tfp, jodyliebing :wave:

jodyliebing said:
Would I then have to use more chlorine when I add directly to the pool? Last summer I used a 1 pound bag a week sometimes 2.
Our recommendation is bleach/liquid chlorine for chlorinating. See this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool Most likely the "bags" you were adding also were adding cya. What is in the "bags"? Once you get your test kit, post your results and we can go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.