Skimmer not working while pool cleaner, waterfall are on

Apr 18, 2013
Central Florida
Hello! I am so glad to have found this forum! I like troubleshooting, but I am stumped! I have a 20 year old inground pool with spa, using a Hayward cartridge filter, and a Navigator pool cleaner. Everything (pool skimmer, pool cleaner, waterfall, pump pressure is good) all seem to work independently, but when they are ALL on, the skimmer does not seem to work. I think there may be a blockage somewhere in the skimmer line. The baskets are clear, at the pool and at the pump. I saw another youtube video showing how you can take off the skimmer valve, and check at the 90 degree pipe angle there for blockages. I may do that next, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions as to why the skimmer will not run at the same time as the other pieces.
Thank you for any advice.

If it's a suction pool cleaner, it may be that the cleaner is reducing the pull from the skimmer.

Does the weir float up to the top of the water when it appears the skimmer isn't working?

No problem, Welcome to the forum BTW!!! :wave:

Can you add a picture of your plumbing and the skimmer valve you mentioned? Might help (?)

Do you have a separate wall port for the vacuum?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The skimmer weir closes off the skimmer except for a very thin layer of water at the surface. This causes the water to flow more rapidly to capture the bugs and debris floating on top of the water. It rises to the surface when the pump is off to prevent the capture debris from washing back into the pool.

Here is a diagram showing how it works
skimmer_2.gif

The reason it's important, is that without the weir, flow into the skimmer may not be easy to observe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the visual...I googled it...our skimmer at the pool does not have anything except one hole at the bottom of it. When it works, I see it bobbing up and down and water flowing into the basket. I am almost ready to post more info with pics. Stay tuned!

Ok...I did my homework and added my location and signature info. for you. Sorry I didn't have it done sooner. I'm sure it helps. Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing and where my valves are set right now. Currently, in this setting, the pool cleaner is moving, the water is spilling over the spa, and the skimmer is not working(I believe it's off). Pressure on cartridge filter is 35psi.

Well, I tried to upload 3 pics, one at a time, and the files are too big. I'll have to see if I can resize them and try again. :(

If you do not want to resize them, you can put them on a picture hosting website and imbed them here.

If you use the IMG tag, just put the html address to the .jpg like this:
Code:
[IMG]www.site.com/etc/pic.jpg[/IMG]

starr513 said:
Ok...I did my homework and added my location and signature info. for you. Sorry I didn't have it done sooner. I'm sure it helps. Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing and where my valves are set right now. Currently, in this setting, the pool cleaner is moving, the water is spilling over the spa, and the skimmer is not working(I believe it's off). Pressure on cartridge filter is 35psi.

Well, I tried to upload 3 pics, one at a time, and the files are too big. I'll have to see if I can resize them and try again. :(

35psi is pretty danged high. Does your gauge go to zero when you turn the pump off?

The the valve orientation you show, the only suction to the pump is through the pool cleaner (see the OFF on the handle of the cleaner valve, indicates that pipe is off). If you turn that valve partly, you would have suction from the cleaner and the drain/skimmer ... except, you currently have that valve set to be all floor drain.

So, find a position of the cleaner valve (rotating CCW) so you have good cleaner function. Then you can turn the other valve CCW to mostly close off the floor and give you more skimming.

I think the valve just do not work the way you currently think they do ... where did that diagram come from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support